ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB

PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
alaychem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB Reply with quote

Acolyte

I'm running IIB 10.0.0.11 Multi instance as MQ service on MQ 9.1.
OS RHEL 7.4.

When switching over with my broker user, all works fine.

When MQ crew switch over with mqm user (and that's what MQ crew wants, they don't want me to start and end their precious MQ) - the process ownership changes to mqm, which will lead to serious permission errors.

Is it how it's suppose to be? if not, how can I fix it?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alaychem wrote:

Disclaimer - I don't know for sure.

But from a Unix point of view it does make sense that the id which stopped and started the processes will own them.

If this is functioning as designed (and someone with more knowledge than me will be along in a minute) I'd given the MQ team sufficient sudo access to do the broker failover as mqbrkrs (not unrestricted sudo access to mqbrkrs to be clear) and promise to assign all the production incidents to them if they ever use mqm natively to do it.

Well, to be honest, I'd script the whole failover process and take the humans (and their egos) out of the equation. But that's just me.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alaychem wrote:
I'm running IIB 10.0.0.11 Multi instance as MQ service on MQ 9.1.
OS RHEL 7.4.

When switching over with my broker user, all works fine.

When MQ crew switch over with mqm user (and that's what MQ crew wants, they don't want me to start and end their precious MQ) - the process ownership changes to mqm, which will lead to serious permission errors.

For it to work that way there are a few things you may need to check:
Is the mqm user member of the mqbrkrs group???
Is the mqbrkrs the primary group of the mqm user?

Don't change both at once, Try each one after the other. And remember to log out and log back in before you try again as user mqm to take advantage of any os level group membership changes. You will also need to bounce the qmgr to verify:
Stop qmgr, verify broker stopped, if not stop it... log out, log back on as mqm, start the qmgr, check if broker is running as expected.
alaychem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB Reply with quote

Acolyte

fjb_saper wrote:

Yes, it is. If it wasn't, I would get a devastating permission denied error when trying to access $MQSI_WORKPATH/commmon/log/BROKER.mqservice.log while trying to switchover.

fjb_saper wrote:

No, and it won't be, since it's the main MQ user. It's primary group is mqm.

Do you suggest to create a new mqm user, dedicated to switchovers?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alaychem wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Yes, it is. If it wasn't, I would get a devastating permission denied error when trying to access $MQSI_WORKPATH/commmon/log/BROKER.mqservice.log while trying to switchover.

fjb_saper wrote:

No, and it won't be, since it's the main MQ user. It's primary group is mqm.

Do you suggest to create a new mqm user, dedicated to switchovers?

There's been talk previously about the user running the qmgr having to have its primary group as mqbrkrs to run the broker without problems. Obviously to run the qmgr it also needs to be part of the mqm group.

If you create a user specifically for that purpose, is up to you. You may need to change your startup scripts to have that user start the broker's queue manager...
alaychem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

OK, Thank you.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » PID ownership cahnged while switching over IIB
Jump to: