ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Improving throughput of sender channel?

Improving throughput of sender channel? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Improving throughput of sender channel? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Assuming we have a sender channel to an external party over TCP/IP - both ends are z/OS MQ (one v7.1, one v8.0).

Most messages are around 2kb and non-persistent. The xmit queue is held in a coupling facility for QSG failover reasons.

We seem to be reaching a max message throughput even when the network bandwidth is not more than 30% used.

What's the best way to improve thoughput - for example

1. Increase TCP/IP buffersize?

2. Run more than one sender channel in parallel (different xmit queues)?

3. Mess about with batchsize and such like?

Am I right to assume we can't run two sender channels (at the same time) pulling from the same xmit queue due to the way channel triggering works?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

More details, please.

Is this a new problem? What has changed?

30% of what bandwidth?

How many messages in what time period? 1000/second, for example?

What are your batchsize and batchinterval values?

How many packet collisions? How far is the receiver end? 20ft? 20miles?

Private network? If so, who is the provider? Public internet? If so, who is our ISP? Ask them for help?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throughput of sender channel? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
Am I right to assume we can't run two sender channels (at the same time) pulling from the same xmit queue due to the way channel triggering works?

Unless it's a CLUSSDR, the XMITQ is opened for input exclusively by the channel.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Why don't you turn on channel compression? And you could even add channel header compression. And do it in both direction.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It's a 100 MB private circuit.

It's reaching message rate capacity due to growth in volumes.

BATCHINT is zero, Batchsize is 50.

I did think about compression but we are so far from using all the bandwidth that it seems pointless and may increase processing time in MQ.

NETTIME on channel is about 27k microseconds. XQTIME is about 150k microseconds.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
It's a 100 MB private circuit.

What does the circuit provider say about this issue? What do their network analysts tell you?
tczielke
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

This is from the MP16 - "Capacity Planning and Tuning for IBM MQ for z/OS" in case it would help:

Quote:
Tuning channels - BATCHSZ, BATCHINT, and NPMSPEED

To get the best from your system you need to understand the channel attributes BATCHSZ,
BATCHINT and NPMSPEED, and the difference between the batch size specified in the BATCHSZ
attribute, and the achieved batch size. The following settings give good defaults for several scenarios:

1. For a synchronous request/reply model with a low message rate per channel (tens of messages
per second or less), where there might be persistent messages, and a fast response is needed
specify BATCHSZ(1) BATCHINT(0) NPMSPEED(FAST).

2. For a synchronous request/reply model with a low message rate per channel (tens of messages
per second or less), where there are only non-persistent messages, specify BATCHSZ(50)
BATCHINT(10000) NPMSPEED(FAST).

3. For a synchronous request/reply model with a low message rate per channel (tens of messages
per second or less), where there might be persistent messages and a short delay of up to 100
milliseconds can be tolerated specify BATCHSZ(50) BATCHINT(100) NPMSPEED(FAST).

4. For bulk transfer of a pre-loaded queue specify BATCHSZ(50) BATCHINT(0) NPMSPEED(FAST).

5. If you have trickle transfer for deferred processing, (the messages are typically persistent)
specify BATCHSZ(50) BATCHINT(5000) NPMSPEED(FAST).

6. If you are using large messages, over 100000 bytes you should use a smaller batch size such as
10, and if you are processing very large messages such as 1 MB, you should use a BATCHSZ(1).

7. For messages under 5000 bytes, if you can achieve a batch size of 4 messages per batch then
the throughput can be twice, and the cost per message half that of a batch size of 1.

bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

MP16 here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24007421
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throughput of sender channel? Reply with quote

Jedi

zpat wrote:
Assuming we have a sender channel to an external party over TCP/IP - both ends are z/OS MQ (one v7.1, one v8.0).
Most messages are around 2kb and non-persistent. The xmit queue is held in a coupling facility for QSG failover reasons.
We seem to be reaching a max message throughput even when the network bandwidth is not more than 30% used.
What's the best way to improve thoughput - for example

Hi zpat,
Determine what resource is constraining the throughput....
1. What is the message volume? (msg/sec)
2. Are you seeing queueing on the transmission queue?
3. What range of depths?
From the info you have provided, 1000 msgs/sec capacity should not be beyond reach.
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I think the volume is about 18 million per day, but not evenly spread out.

Xmit queue depth does sometimes spike to around 100.

What I was really getting at - will two sender channels sharing the same load achieve a higher throughput than one sender channel (over the same link)?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
What I was really getting at - will two sender channels sharing the same load achieve a higher throughput than one sender channel (over the same link)?

You haven’t determined where the bottleneck exists, so we can’t say for sure.

Are you missing SLA’s?

What do SMF and RMF reports indicate? Your MVS sysprogs should be able to help. What do they tell you?

Are the z hardware platforms similarly provisioned? I’ve seen the behavio(u)r when a z/OS image is sending to a much smaller Win/UNIX midrange platform - not enough horsepower at receiver to keep up with sender.

What do the circuit provider folks tell you? Excessive network collisions or other delays? What other traffic on this circuit? Like video conferencing? Image mirroring?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
I think the volume is about 18 million per day, but not evenly spread out.

Xmit queue depth does sometimes spike to around 100.

A running XMITQ spiking at 100 msgs is ridiculous. Assuming that your batches are 50 msgs per batch it means that you never have more than 2 batches on the xmitq at any time (including delays for commits on puts). Now depending on the size of those batches and the network latency, does that make you miss any SLA's? If not you're fine.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

zpat wrote:
I think the volume is about 18 million per day, but not evenly spread out. Xmit queue depth does sometimes spike to around 100.

At a peak time, what is the average throughput?

(look at MSGS andBYTSSENT attributes of channel status, say at 5 minute intervals, and do a calculation)
Eg. BYTSSENT(9616) MSGS(15)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Improving throughput of sender channel?
Jump to: