ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Advantages of MQ on Windows Server

Advantages of MQ on Windows Server « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
shafiq
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Advantages of MQ on Windows Server Reply with quote

Management want to redesign the IBM MQ environment to make it more secure and to reduce costs. Current MQ environment is described below:

MQ Server installed in 6 different servers (3 production – 3 test) the operating system in all is Solaris (Oracle)

Would it be of benefit to create a new Windows MQ Server and install MQ Client on 6 Solaris machines and communicate with MQ Server?

Could anyone suggest the best architecture design for this environment. Would this reduce costs?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Advantages of MQ on Windows Server Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

shafiq wrote:
Would it be of benefit to create a new Windows MQ Server and install MQ Client on 6 Solaris machines and communicate with MQ Server?

Maybe. If your applications can't handle connection failures (because they've been designed on the assumption they're cohosted with a queue manager) then it could be a disaster. At best you're likely to have to relink all the applications to use client. You might also have to redesign the applications, depending on how they use queues and if they think they have their own.

For instance: an application uses queue A for some reason. For load balancing, there's a copy of this application on each of your 3 prod servers. Each currently has (obviously) it's own copy of A. In the new scenario, the Windows queue manager has a copy of A but all 3 instances of the application are now using it. Is that going to work?

You'll also have to take on all the client maintenance and monitoring; checking the channels & network, maintaining client configuration data, maintaining the PKI that's protecting data that's now going over the network that wasn't before, that sort of thing.

shafiq wrote:
Could anyone suggest the best architecture design for this environment.

It's never a good idea to combine prod with non-prod, so that's 2 MQ servers. You also need to consider high availability; currently if MQ is down, it's likely the application and indeed the Solaris server is down so no big, especially as you have 2 other prod instances. Now if the Windows MQ server is down, your entire prod estate is OOS. So you probably need 2 MCSC clustered servers for prod, with all the maintenance and set up that entails.

shafiq wrote:
Would this reduce costs?

It'll probably reduce MQ costs as you'll need less MQ license. You need to balance that with all the other costs you'll incur that I describe above.

From a personal perspective, I'd use Linux not Windoze. There's no difference functionally between MQ on Windows and MQ on Linux, and Linux is easier to administer / more stable / more controllable / just better than Windoze. But you'd still need everything I talk about in this post for Linux.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advantages of MQ on Windows Server Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
...From a personal perspective, I'd use Linux not Windoze. There's no difference functionally between MQ on Windows and MQ on Linux, and Linux is easier to administer / more stable / more controllable / just better than Windoze. But you'd still need everything I talk about in this post for Linux.

Added to that, there should not be too much of a learning curve for your current UNIX Sys Admins...
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

At the MQTC v2.0.1.8 conference, IBM announced that they do not intend to support IBM MQ past 9.1 for Solaris. At least that is how I remember the announcement. So if it was me, I would be looking for an exit strategy for being on Solaris if you use MQ.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Advantages of MQ on Windows Server Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
There's no difference functionally between MQ on Windows and MQ on Linux

Replicated Data Queue Managers is a feature available on Linux but not Windows.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

tczielke wrote:
At the MQTC v2.0.1.8 conference, IBM announced that they do not intend to support IBM MQ past 9.1 for Solaris. At least that is how I remember the announcement. So if it was me, I would be looking for an exit strategy for being on Solaris if you use MQ.

Could have something to do with IBM's recent purchase of RedHat.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

bruce2359 wrote:
tczielke wrote:

Could be. Should RedHat be called BlueHat now?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

tczielke wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
tczielke wrote:

Could be. Should RedHat be called BlueHat now?

Mixture of two colours - PurpleHat?
zpat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

bruce2359 wrote:
tczielke wrote:

Unlikely - that would be very joined up thinking (which most people in large companies would say doesn't happen much!).

I seem to recall the demise of Solaris support was mentioned at the MQ beta in June. More to do with the delline in use of Solaris in general.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
tczielke wrote:

Unlikely - that would be very joined up thinking (which most people in large companies would say doesn't happen much!).

I seem to recall the demise of Solaris support was mentioned at the MQ beta in June. More to do with the delline in use of Solaris in general.

And Oracle having acquired Sun-Solaris.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advantages of MQ on Windows Server Reply with quote

Jedi

shafiq wrote:
Could anyone suggest the best architecture design for this environment. Would this reduce costs?

You also need to consider TCO of the Windows Servers, including the impact of outages for patching, software upgrades, and general OS reliability and operational housekeeping activities.
shafiq
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: MQ New Setup Discussions Reply with quote

Such great points by all - Thank you so much.

Does anyone know a good reference (maybe a Redbook ... they still do those right??) that can guide for moving setups configurations?

Really see why Linus makes more sense. Oh also can anyone guide me towards MQ pricing. Is there a good reference on MQ pricing?

Thanks again to everyone.
shafiq
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Question for Vitor Reply with quote

Hi Vitor - Thansk for your great response.

Just wondering why you say:

"It's never a good idea to combine prod with non-prod, so that's 2 MQ servers"

Could you please expand on that.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Question for Vitor Reply with quote

Poobah

shafiq wrote:
Hi Vitor - Thansk for your great response.

Just wondering why you say:

"It's never a good idea to combine prod with non-prod, so that's 2 MQ servers"

Could you please expand on that.

It's a long established best-practice to have separate test, QA, and prod, environments. Why? So that testing of apps and o/s's does not affect production.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
Oh also can anyone guide me towards MQ pricing. Is there a good reference on MQ pricing?

Yes. Discuss it with the IBM sales / account representative for your organization.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Advantages of MQ on Windows Server
Jump to: