ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Alternative for IBM MQFTE

Alternative for IBM MQFTE « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
apmohan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello All,

We have been using IBM MQFTE since long time for performing the FILE TRANSFERS between system to system, but it is consuming huge memory as the JAVA process been used.

Can anyone advise the other possible methods to do the file transfers which would be a great help for us.

Please help

Thanks.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

apmohan wrote:
We have been using IBM MQFTE since long time for performing the FILE TRANSFERS between system to system, but it is consuming huge memory as the JAVA process been used.

These two comments are not correlated. Especially as MQ does not natively use Java.

apmohan wrote:
Can anyone advise the other possible methods to do the file transfers which would be a great help for us.

There have to be hundreds of managed file transfer products on the market, including a number sold by IBM. Draw up a list of requirements and make your choice.
apmohan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks Vitor for the quick response.

We have been using Ant scripts for the various operations like extracting the date format or changing the date format.

Also we have defined the Java to do archiving of the files, renaming the files, handling regular expressions, etc., which is consuming huge memory now which ends up in restarting the MQFTE Agents often !!

Any view on this ?

Thanks.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

apmohan wrote:
Any view on this ?

You've done a great job inventing a wheel that does a worse job than almost any other wheel.

So you have written bad Java that consumes a huge amount of memory to do very simple things and your first thought is to replace the non-Java components. It does clarify why you thought Ant was a good choice for a coordination tool.

You've previously posted about an IIB problem. From this I infer you have IIB. I am unable to think of any reason you'd own this very expensive IBM product and still be trying to use Java for the 3 things you list which are the reasons people who work with files elect to buy IIB. Or why you'd continue to use Ant for file workflow.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

If you did a google search then the open source solution called Universal File Mover should have been near the top.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Jedi

apmohan wrote:
Hello All,
Please help
Thanks.

IBM WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition (FTE) v7.0 has been out of support for a while, replaced by Managed File Transfer (MFT), and now fully integrated into the MQ s/w packaging since v7.5. I hope you are now using MFT.

We have thousands of MFT agents and don't have any issues with excessive memory usage. Do you use MFT exits, pre, or post processsing? Can you provide any specific examples of increasing memory usage?

I doubt that you will find an alternative product that provides the reliability and features of MFT.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Poobah

apmohan wrote:
... but it is consuming huge memory as the JAVA process been used.

More RAM seems a simple, direct and inexpensive solution to this problem.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

gbaddeley wrote:
We have thousands of MFT agents and don't have any issues with excessive memory usage. Do you use MFT exits, pre, or post processsing? Can you provide any specific examples of increasing memory usage?

I doubt that you will find an alternative product that provides the reliability and features of MFT.

There are a lot of companies using Universal File Mover (UFM). UFM can use many different transport methods and 1 of which is MQ. Are you saying that FTE use of MQ is more reliable than UFM's use of MQ because I don't think so.

UFM has a boat load of features. I guess you did not look at the UFM overview page.

I've done several sessions at MQ Technical Conference about UFM. In one of the sessions, I took questions from mqseries.net about FTE/MFT that cannot be done and showed how easy it was to do with UFM.

The 5 features that most companies like are:

(1) Encrypt/Decrypt messages without requiring SSL/TLS certificates (only requires 2 keywords on the MQSend action)

(2) Compress messages with a single attribute (decompression is automatic)

(3) UFM can send files of any size over MQ. UFM breaks the files into chucks to keep memory use to a minimum.

(4) UFM can do both pre and post actions when sending/receiving files

(5) Customers can make changes to the source code and then submit the changes to me

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative for IBM MQFTE Reply with quote

Jedi

RogerLacroix wrote:
There are a lot of companies using Universal File Mover (UFM). UFM can use many different transport methods and 1 of which is MQ. Are you saying that FTE use of MQ is more reliable than UFM's use of MQ because I don't think so.

Hi Roger. Its been a while since I looked at the UFM overview. It certainly has a lot of features that FTE / MFT does not provide. I was not implying any reliance on MQ messaging for QoS.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Alternative for IBM MQFTE
Jump to: