ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » HACMP MQ Environment Lift and Shift

HACMP MQ Environment Lift and Shift « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smeunier
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: HACMP MQ Environment Lift and Shift Reply with quote

Partisan

Couldn't seem to find anything that fit this scenario. Hope its not a repeat.

I've just been dubbed the MQ admin for a new environment. This environment is archaic and fully unsupported. It is running on AIX V5.3 and MQ V6.0.2.9 and runs a version of the old MQ Broker Support pack. Yep, this all run the factory!

The MQ environment is all configured for HACMP. Probably using the MC91 support pac for that. Also unsupported. The customer is building out new :hardware, of which my reply was:

A perfect opportunity to become current. New hardware, new MQ releases, what more could you ask for right? Wrong. They have decided to build out the new hardware running AIX with latest OS release. At least 6.1 I believe. So what my problem?

The HACMP Cluster name will be changed, pointing to the new Active/Standby server addresses. They will zip up the MQ File System and load it to the new server images. Essentially cloning the asis to the tobe. The service IP/Hostname will be different on the new environment.

I was thinking that if they change the current alias to the new service address IP, then this would remove issues with channels and the MQ Cluster name resolution. Fair assumption? Also does it matter what the HACMP cluster name is called from the OLD to the new environment? Does anything need to change in MQ to reflect the new HACMP Cluster name?

So essentially they are doing a Lift an Shift to the new hardware of the existing MQ configuration.

At a later date, they plan on upgrading to the latest MQ version. Replacing decaying hardware seemed to be most important at this time.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

AIX 7.2 maybe, with the latest version of PowerHA? The HA cluster control procedures will be different, and the old HACMP MQ support pac may not work. There will likely be a few challenges along the way. Keep us posted.
smeunier
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
AIX 7.2 maybe,
The OS will be 6.1

Plan is to re-install the V6.0.9 version and do a backup and restore of the data and log files to the new servers. Current service ip (VIP) will be resolved to the existing hostname to avoid MQ Cluster or channel name issues.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smeunier wrote:
Quote:
AIX 7.2 maybe,
The OS will be 6.1

smeunier wrote:
They have decided to build out the new hardware running AIX with latest OS release

AIX 6.1 isn't just not the latest version, it's been out of support for 18 months at time of writing.

If that's the customer's plan to get off the "environment is archaic and fully unsupported" then it's not going to work. They're going from one unsupported OS version to a newer unsupported OS version.

As well as adding the risk that the archaic and fully unsupported version of MQ they plan to used will not work on this new combination, because I'll offer you good odds IBM never tested MQ 6.anything on AIX later than 5.3.

Figuring out the HA may be the least of your problems.
smeunier
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
IBM never tested MQ 6.anything on AIX later than 5.3.

They have migrate existing servers to OS 6.1 from 5.3 with the unsupported MQ version 6.0.0.

I fully agree with your comments. They do not or will not entertain my suggestion of moving to OS 7.1 and MQ V8 or 9. I would spin up a new environment and spin off a priority project to validate apps against the new environment, then roll it into Production and breath a sign of relief.

Or move their TEST environment through an upgrade plan. Its all ass backwards to me.
smeunier
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Oh, and AIX OS 6.1 is the latest that MQ V6.0.9 would run under, reason why they went with OS 6.1 They will still end up with a unsupported MQ environment for all the effort.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smeunier wrote:
Oh, and AIX OS 6.1 is the latest that MQ V6.0.9 would run under, reason why they went with OS 6.1 They will still end up with a unsupported MQ environment for all the effort.

And they're sure this all works on the modern hardware they're using?

Or have they managed to fit the hardware in the back of the Delorean?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smeunier wrote:
They will still end up with a unsupported MQ environment for all the effort.

If they have yet more money they'd like to waste, I have a number of investment opportunities that might suit them.....

Do not, under any circumstances, take any responsibility for the continued operation of this system. This sounds (to the paranoid among us) like a customer who knows their system is on borrowed time, has come up with the cheapest & contact admin means of upgrading, and will pull the "well it worked fine until you upgraded it" card at the first opportunity.
smeunier
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
And they're sure this all works on the modern hardware they're using?

MQ V6.0.9 is running under OS 6.1 on upgraded (Power 4 to Power 6) hardware. PROD will be Power 9
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

There's a significant difference between "it's running elsewhere" and "it's running elsewhere and fully supported."

I'd suggest that you document and get sign-off from management that the configuration is not recommended, not supported, and you make no guarantees implied or expressed (legal terminology).
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
I'd suggest that you document and get sign-off from management that the configuration is not recommended, not supported, and you make no guarantees implied or expressed (legal terminology).

Agree. Management need to accept the risk. Your company is paying license fees to IBM for support of AIX and MQ, but if you raise a Service Request, IBM could say "sorry, we can't spend time on it or fix that issue".

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » HACMP MQ Environment Lift and Shift
Jump to: