ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to restart / reset a sendechannel with multiple receiver

How to restart / reset a sendechannel with multiple receiver « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lamtbs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: How to restart / reset a sendechannel with multiple receiver Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear all,

For resilience and automatic failover of a sender channel, I have setup a sender channel, pointing to 2 receiver channels of the same name, with the same XMITQ and multiple address in the channel CONNAME parameter.

The failover is doing fine ........ until I stopped one of the receiver channel for testing.

Now I know I shouldn't have stopped channel from the receiver side, but there is no way to stop my customer doing this

Once the harm is done, I cannot bring up the side of the channel I stopped. Receiver is in inactive state, the sender is running (as the other receiver channel is running)

I tried the shutdown the queue manager on the healthy side to try to force messages going over to the inactive channel side. It failed.

Now I am stuck with
- I cannot start the failed channel, issuing start channel on sender does not work as the sender thinks it's running (there is the running receiver)
- Resolve / reset channel does not help, in fact it makes the 2 receivers even more un-sync in terms of the seq number

Anything I can do to rectify, apart from deleting / redefining the channels?

I've seen the following APAR, does not offer any resolution
AMQ9507 Channel in-doubt causes another channel to end abnormally
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21160814

Thanks!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to restart / reset a sendechannel with multiple rece Reply with quote

Poobah

lamtbs wrote:
The failover is doing fine ........ until I stopped one of the receiver channel for testing.

Please explain what you mean by 'The failover is doing fine."

How and where did you stop one of the receiver channel? If you issued the STOP CHANNEL command at the receiver, it should have gone into STOPPED state.
lamtbs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I tested it by amqsput messages, they all goes to the QM1 which is first on the CONNAME.
I then shutdown QM1, while still keep putting messages. Except for 1 message being stuck on XMITQ, all messages successfully reached QM2 which is 2nd in the CONNAME.

Now I have both QM1 & QM2 running again for a second test.
Putting to QM1 with no problem, then I stopped the receiver channel on QM1. You are right it went into STOPPED status, I think I restarted it, that's when it become INACTIVE state.

Messages are routed to QM2 as QM1 channel is INACTIVE. From then on, I was not able to use QM1 anymore even if I shutdown QM2 in hope to force it back to QM1.

What can I do to bring QM1 channel back?
Thanks!
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

lamtbs wrote:
I tested it by amqsput messages, they all goes to the QM1 which is first on the CONNAME.
I then shutdown QM1, while still keep putting messages. Except for 1 message being stuck on XMITQ, all messages successfully reached QM2 which is 2nd in the CONNAME.

Now I have both QM1 & QM2 running again for a second test.
Putting to QM1 with no problem, then I stopped the receiver channel on QM1. You are right it went into STOPPED status, I think I restarted it, that's when it become INACTIVE state.

Messages are routed to QM2 as QM1 channel is INACTIVE. From then on, I was not able to use QM1 anymore even if I shutdown QM2 in hope to force it back to QM1.

What can I do to bring QM1 channel back?
Thanks!

To move the channel back to QM1 you must stop the receiver in QM2.
Then you MUST inspect the channel on the sender qmgr and resolve any in doubt problems that may be there. If there is no in doubt status all the better, the channel should move automatically.
If you do have one or more messages that do not leave the xmit queue there is a good chance your channel is in doubt.

Check out the procedure on how to resolve an in doubt channel in the infocenter. It is relatively easy and painless.

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to restart / reset a sendechannel with multiple receiver
Jump to: