ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportUse of RFHUTILC (IH03) with TLS 1.2 cipher on channel

Use of RFHUTILC (IH03) with TLS 1.2 cipher on channel View previous topic :: View next topic
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 pm Post subject: Use of RFHUTILC (IH03) with TLS 1.2 cipher on channel Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Question on support pac IH03 – RFHUTILC version 7.5, when connecting via MQ client 7.1.0.7 to a remote QM (in this case z/OS MQ 7.1) over a SVRCONN channel.

Is it possible to use this TLS 1.2 cipher on the server connection channel with this program?

TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 ?

This value doesn’t appear in the cipher list when I press “set conn id”….
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: Use of RFHUTILC (IH03) with TLS 1.2 cipher on channel Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Question on support pac IH03 – RFHUTILC version 7.5, when connecting via MQ client 7.1.0.7 to a remote QM (in this case z/OS MQ 7.1) over a SVRCONN channel.

Is it possible to use this TLS 1.2 cipher on the server connection channel with this program?

TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 ?

This value doesn’t appear in the cipher list when I press “set conn id”….

A lot has changed in SSL since version 7.5... get the latest version of RFHUtilc and try again...
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

What is the latest IH03 and where is it found now?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
What is the latest IH03 and where is it found now?

It shows as WITHDRAWN with only a link to the pdf guide, for me at least. What about using a CCDT?
markt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

1. Older programs often provided two versions - one linked with libmqic, one with libmqm. The libmqm-bound programs can these days usually be forced to use client connectivity by setting MQ_CONNECT_TYPE=CLIENT in the environment.

2. rfhutilc does a bunch of CCDT or other client definition parsing that is not done by the libmqm rfhutil. Using rfhutilc's GUI connection panels you can't set cipherspecs that it doesn't know about. But using environment variables you may be able to use rfhutil instead of rfhutilc and trick it into using the CCDT directly.

3. There's apparently a bug at the moment in the process that takes supportpac pages from the authoring system out to the public site ... it's losing the anchor text for the download, though you can still see the link if you look at the page's source (ctrl-U in firefox). That is being investigated by the owners of that tool.

4. V7.5.0 is the last version of rfhutil that got released through the SupportPac process. Although there have been newer levels knocking around, they were never submitted for formal release.

5. Because we have no way to update the SupportPac further (the author was not in MQ development), it's been put on the withdrawn list. No plans to block it from download entirely for the moment, but it makes it clearer that it does what it does, and don't expect any more.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi zpat,

Why don't you have a look at MQ Visual Edit? It can handle TLS 1.2.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Thanks for info.

Presumably the source code for IH03 belongs to IBM and they could maintain it or open-source it if they chose.

It's a shame that support pacs have been allowed to wither - they have been some of the best aspects of using MQ.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Works fine with a CCDT and setting MQSSKEYR environment variable.

Only downside is that we have far, far too many QMs for easy CCDT creation....
dallen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

We struggled with letting go of RFHUtil because it was so useful to admins and developers but we are starting the process of deprecating TLS 1.0 (TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA) in favor of TLS 1.2 (TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256) and RFHUtil did not support TLS 1.2. I came across this message and saw that others have the same issue. As I was watching college football (Go Vols!) this week I thought to myself I wonder if hex editing the RFHUtilC.exe would work, thinking back to my shareware cracking days using SoftICE debugger, lol. So I loaded up the HEX editor plugin in Notepad++, I am sure any HEX editor will work, and started searching for the cipher names. I found them and the TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA cipher actually had several null chars at the end of it and I replaced 3 of them with "256" and turned "TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA" into "TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256" and holy hell IT WORKED! I am now able to connect to my MQ 8 channels with TLS 1.2 from RFHUtil. You should be able to change the same text to ""TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256" as well and it work just fine. This would not have worked if those null chars were not there and it increased the size of the exe because it would have thrown all of the offsets and addressing out of whack. The bad part is that pulldown menu that displays the ciphers was designed to short so you cant see the full text but if you highlight, copy it and paste it into and editor you can see the full string. You also are not able to edit the text in the pulldown, which would have been an easier solution for future ciphers. Give this a shot and let me know if it works for you.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Bad idea to promote hacking of a non open source/public domain software tool. You do understand that IBM owns the rights to RFHUTIL.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
dallen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I don't publicly redistribute my modified copy or profit off it then I am not violating any laws and if IBM even cared about the product they would update it and continue to support it. If he doesn't want to try it that's his choice but it worked for me.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

dallen wrote:
As long as I don't publicly redistribute my modified copy or profit off it then I am not violating any laws and if IBM even cared about the product they would update it and continue to support it. If he doesn't want to try it that's his choice but it worked for me.

That falls under the 'Fake News' category. Any modification of the software, even for personal use is illegal.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi All...just to add to the discussion. The client where I work did get the IBM contact to send us a new version of IH03 when we faced the same issue of TLSv1.2 ciphers, I believe they simply added the new set of ciphers shipped with the new MQ version to it.

Version we currently use is - V8.0.0 Build 224

We did request IBM to release this version publicly before it got formally withdrawn. I guess if you ask the authors nicely you may still be able to get hold of v8 version.
mk621
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

abhi_thri wrote:
Hi All...just to add to the discussion. The client where I work did get the IBM contact to send us a new version of IH03 when we faced the same issue of TLSv1.2 ciphers, I believe they simply added the new set of ciphers shipped with the new MQ version to it.

Version we currently use is - V8.0.0 Build 224

We did request IBM to release this version publicly before it got formally withdrawn. I guess if you ask the authors nicely you may still be able to get hold of v8 version.

Hi Abhi, can you pls send me that new version of rfhutil on this email rohsh5000@gmail.com

and can you also tell me who to contact IBM for official version

Thanks for your help.
appreciate.
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Just to be clear, using a CCDT you do not need an updated version to use TLS 1.2 (or any cipher).

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportUse of RFHUTILC (IH03) with TLS 1.2 cipher on channel
Jump to: