ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » unit of order for IBM MQ messaging system

unit of order for IBM MQ messaging system « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ashish_MQ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: unit of order for IBM MQ messaging system Reply with quote

HI ,

please help me in knowing whether we can process messages on IBM MQ in an specific order in which the message was written on the queue.

Similar feature is available in weblogic JMS queue i.e. UNIT OF ORDER when active wecan process message in an order in which they were written on the queue.
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...the default message order for a queue is FIFO (First In First Out), have a look at message priority as well.

If you are after grouping messages yes that is possible using MQMD flags - GroupId/MsgSeqNumber/MsgFlags.

Are you using IIB to send/receive messages? Have a look at topics,

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac25710_.htm

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac25700_.htm
ashish_MQ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks abhi_thri for your reply.

I am using IBM MQ 8.0 series.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Doesn't matter which version you are using. If you are using more than a single instance of the flow, the messages can be consumed out of order.
Also if the message is transmitted over an MQ network with multiple possible routes it can be out of order to start with (arrive out of order on the queue).

You may want to look into the sequence / re-sequence nodes...
timber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Before mqjeff comes along and says it...if at all possible, you should avoid this type of requirement. It is called 'message affinity' because it links the processing of a message to the processing of other messages.

Message affinity introduces a single-threaded bottleneck in your processing pathway and there is almost always a better alternative. IBM agrees...
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017780_.htm
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Hi Ashish,

MQ does not guarantee message order (except in very specific circumstances), so MQ messaging designs should NEVER make any assumptions about the order that a consumer application gets them.

I have seen apps brought to their knees because they went ahead with a design based on this flawed assumption. The architect was very red faced and there was major effort and cost to implement a work-around.

If your messages have affinity (aka ordering or any other independence) the consumer app needs to be able to handle MQ messages that are out of order (eg. they were delivered via diffierent MQ paths or delayed due to MQ or network outage). This is usually done by staging the messages to a DB and initiate processing when sequences are complete.
ashish_MQ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Glenn
Thanks for your response.
As per suggestion on this portal I need to rethink about my design,I guess have to use weblogic jms queue as It provide unit of order which make sure of order of processing for the messages posted on jms queue.

Thanks again
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ashish_MQ wrote:
As per suggestion on this portal I need to rethink about my design,I guess have to use weblogic jms queue as It provide unit of order which make sure of order of processing for the messages posted on jms queue.

Even if you have a technology that provides this, your design needs to cater for failure situations where (for example) a message cannot be processed for some reason (perhaps invalid business data in the payload). Given that you can't process the next message until this one has been resolved (or the order of receipt wouldn't matter) you need to figure out what your remediation will be.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

ashish_MQ wrote:
@Glenn
Thanks for your response.
Thanks again

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13222_01/wls/docs100/jms/uoo.html is interesting reading. Basically WebLogic Server implements a feature on top of the JMS transport layer. There are a lot of caveats and considerations! Good luck.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » unit of order for IBM MQ messaging system
Jump to: