ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ and Big data

MQ and Big data « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: MQ and Big data Reply with quote

Master

I have been doing MQ from last 8 years and looking to broaden my scope in the field of big data. so i had few questions which i wanted to ask.

does being MQ admin helps with understanding big data.
what are the basic requirements for big data engineer/admin.
which certification should i persuade.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ and Big data Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
does being MQ admin helps with understanding big data.

No.

ankurlodhi wrote:
what are the basic requirements for big data engineer/admin.

In terms of installing / administering Hadoop or similar, the same as installing or administering any other software.

In terms of engineering the big data itself in terms of using the data rather than using the software, then you need some experience as a data architect and/or a background in data analysis or similar analytics. You'll hear "data scientist" also banded about as a title.

ankurlodhi wrote:

which certification should i persuade.

Look at the Cloudera site under "find training".

(Other training providers are available)

The Big Data shops that I'm familiar with (which I doubt would qualify as a representative sample) look more for people with a mathematics or statistical background than a pure technical one. Though a knowledge of programming and query languages is obviously an advantage.
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Thanks vitor, what would be the best point of start for a beginner in big data.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
Thanks vitor, what would be the best point of start for a beginner in big data.

Some of the training I refer to, or a less technical study into mathematics & statistical analysis. Something towards BSc level would be enough to get you on the ladder I think.

I have (aside from my technical background) knowledge of basic statistics, probability analysis and data mining, & this is enough to allow me to follow the diagrams they draw, and understand what data needs to be available within the Hadoop system (which is typically provided through mechanisms within my remit, but not typically MQ). It does not set me up for the kind of career change you're describing and I'm realistic enough about my maths skills not to entertain such a change.

I know how a rocket works, and have enough basic knowledge to read the fuel flow diagrams.

Any defence contractor is not going to employ me to work on any rocket, and they sure as contact admin won't ask me to design anything new!
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

this makes me understand that I am not qualified for Data analyst / scientist but is that the same case for hadop admin and architect design.

I am looking for a carrier advise in order to move forward. I am a certified MQ admin with experience on Message Broker, Axway CFT, Secure transport. how should i move forward in my field.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Having a stong MQ background can make you consider that MQ would be suitable for reliably moving massive quantities of message data around in big data solutions.

It would be nice if MQ had a recognised presence in the big data picture. IBM would be jumping for joy.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
this makes me understand that I am not qualified for Data analyst / scientist but is that the same case for hadop admin and architect design.

What's the difference between a data analyst / scientist and a Hadoop architect?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

gbaddeley wrote:
Having a stong MQ background can make you consider that MQ would be suitable for reliably moving massive quantities of message data around in big data solutions.

Unfortunately the big data people (who typically don't have messaging backgrounds) move massive quantities of data around with various kinds of data pump.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's the best way, I'm saying it's the de facto standard.

gbaddeley wrote:
It would be nice if MQ had a recognised presence in the big data picture. IBM would be jumping for joy

IBM are jumping for joy; have you met Watson?

It's not the MQ bit of IBM to be sure, but corporately IBM's big data strategy is full steam ahead.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: MQ and Big data Reply with quote

Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
I have been doing MQ from last 8 years and looking to broaden my scope in the field of big data

Can you be a bit more precise?

Are you currently an MQ system admin? Or an MQ app developer?

Do you mean that you want to broaden your scope to become a system admin of a data base product that houses big data? Or do you mean that you want to become a data analyst - a developer of data-mining apps?
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

currently i am a system admin and i want to learn big data, most of the people have suggested me Hadoop administration but those are just suggestions i really wanted to understand how to get started and what are most basic requirements.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
currently i am a system admin and i want to learn big data, most of the people have suggested me Hadoop administration

Administering the Hadoop software, as I think I intimated above, is like administering any other software. If you have a background as a system admin, some generalized training in administering more traditional databases will give you a grounding in Hadoop administration.

But again, that's not "learning big data" - that's extending your system admin role. Not to say that isn't a good thing of course but if your avowed aim is to move into the use of big data for mining and analytics that's a different thing.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
currently i am a system admin and i want to learn big data, most of the people have suggested me Hadoop administration but those are just suggestions i really wanted to understand how to get started and what are most basic requirements.

Rather than relying on the kindness and opinion of strangers, do your own research.

Begin by searching Google for 'big data.' What does 'big data' mean? What are the usual components?

Who uses 'big data?' Search for 'jobs big data'. Look at job requirements.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:

Rather than relying on the kindness and opinion of strangers, do your own research.

Begin by searching Google

Where all the results will the direct result of the kindness and opinion of strangers.

"Search Google" can literally be the answer to every posted question on every forum on every topic in the world.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Begin by searching Google

Where all the results will the direct result of the kindness and opinion of strangers.

"Search Google" can literally be the answer to every posted question on every forum on every topic in the world.

No argument.

I'm trying to refresh my Japanese language skills in advance of our September trip. Should I post here on mqseries.net for suggestions? OR, should I do basic research on Google or equivalent search engine?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ and Big data
Jump to: