ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » OS logs (Linux/Solaris) that show client channel connections

OS logs (Linux/Solaris) that show client channel connections « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pakuma3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: OS logs (Linux/Solaris) that show client channel connections Reply with quote

Hi guys, big fan of the mods

In RHEL, we had somebody accidentally modify a CHLAUTH record and Im trying to figure out who (to improve security measures). It was an obvious mistake but nobody is admitting to this. Our queue manager has no events enabled at all (channel, configuration, etc.). We searched for entered commands in history and sudosh logs on the server and nobody else has entered CLI mode with runmqsc (QMGR) in this server. Also checked /var/log/messages, secure, and wtmp but there is nothing we can detect as "fishy".

Since no events were enabled at the time, nothing shows up in the MQ logs. Our best bet is that this was done either by Explorer or through runmqsc -c (QMGR), but what I cant find is how these connections from MQ clients are logged in any OS level logs (like tty, ssh, telnet, etc.). We are suspicious of 2 Solaris servers that have the authorized IDs mapped to "mqm" user in this RHEL server and another 2 Windows servers that have MQ Explorer, I tried to check here but I dont notice anything strange.

Perhaps I'm not looking for the right pattern.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If you are logging it look for a svrconn type channel that was active at the time of the change and that would allow admin access.
(Between started and ended recorded states). It just might show from which ip the connection was coming... This would have been in the MQ logs not in the OS logs...

Hope it helps

LJM
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Horse has bolted, you need to secure access,

start by adding some MCA user to your SVRCONN channels.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

LJM wrote:
Horse has bolted, you need to secure access,

start by adding some MCA user to your SVRCONN channels.

The whole stable has gone...

...if an incoming user is mapped to an MQAdmin ID. It's not so simple just to put in an MCAUSER value, you have to put in the controls around it.
pakuma3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, fortunately, due to network security, we know it was one of "us". But yes, we most likely have to create different sets of authorizations to map to.
Will try and do a dmpmqlog. All events (CHLEV, CONFIGEV, CMDEV, CHADEV) were disabled at the time but I hope we find something juicy anyways.

Thanks guys

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » OS logs (Linux/Solaris) that show client channel connections
Jump to: