ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Exit Programs on Linux on Intel

Exit Programs on Linux on Intel « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
andrewfemin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi,

We have a queue manager running on the below setup:
    MQ Version: 7.5
    Hardware: IBM Power7

There's an Exit Program running in the Queue Manager. It copies the contents of messages during MQPUT to some queues in the queue manager and puts the messages to another queue for auditing purposes. This Exit Program is written in C and has been compiled using IBM's XL C compiler.

We are now planning to migrate the queue manager to the below setup:
    MQ Version: 9
    Hardware: Intel based

Almost everything is smooth except the Exit Program. Since it is a different OS, the Exit Program needs to be recompiled. While IBM does have a Linux version of its XL C Compiler, it works only on IBM's own hardware. The default C compilers in Linux are unable to compile the Exit Programs. Thus we are unable to use this Exit Program in the Linux server. Is there any compiler that can run on a Linux system running on an Intel based hardware? Or is there no way to implement Exit Programs in hardware other than IBM's own?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Jedi Council

andrewfemin wrote:
The default C compilers in Linux are unable to compile the Exit Programs...

Why? What is the exact issue that stops it compiling?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

andrewfemin wrote:
The default C compilers in Linux are unable to compile the Exit Programs.

Why not? What happens?

andrewfemin wrote:
Is there any compiler that can run on a Linux system running on an Intel based hardware?

Aside from the ones supplied with most Linux distros or indeed gcc as a separate package?

andrewfemin wrote:
Or is there no way to implement Exit Programs in hardware other than IBM's own?

That's right, for over 20 years we've been complaining that exit program functionality is limited to IBM hardware, and all of us using Windows, Solaris, HPUX and so forth have just stared like hungry street urchins in a Dickensian novel at the rich IBM people eating at this sumptuous banquet.....

....of course you can run exit programs on other platforms!!!

I think a better question would be why you need this exit? There are other ways to copy messages for auditing purposes and exits have disadvantages often discussed on this forum.

A major level upgrade is an ideal opportunity to review both business requirements and technical capabilities.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Sounds like you need a solution that includes support. When you get done banging your head against the wall, you might want to have a look at MQ Message Replication. It is supported on all major platforms (including Linux on x86 & x64) and support is via email, help desk and even by phone. Yup, me live on the phone.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
andrewfemin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Acolyte

Vitor wrote:
andrewfemin wrote:
The default C compilers in Linux are unable to compile the Exit Programs.

Why not? What happens?

andrewfemin wrote:
Is there any compiler that can run on a Linux system running on an Intel based hardware?

Aside from the ones supplied with most Linux distros or indeed gcc as a separate package?

I compiled the program using gcc and tried it out. But it was not copying the messages to the audit queue. Is there any way I can debug this? If yes, can you please let me know how?
mvic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Jedi

andrewfemin wrote:
I compiled the program using gcc and tried it out. But it was not copying the messages to the audit queue. Is there any way I can debug this? If yes, can you please let me know how?

If you can find the developers, ask them.
If not, you probably have to add some code to the exit that outputs debugging info to a file, so you can debug what's going on inside it.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Congrats. You are experiencing a common case of "exit blues," where the author and source code no longer exist.

For this specific function (replicating messages to multiple queues), pub/sub has the solution for you.

Look here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19047500/wmq-replicate-message-to-another-queue
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

andrewfemin wrote:

There is no "just compiling it". Did you follow the very specific compiling and linking instructions from the infocenter for compiling and linking exits?

Did you compile and link both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions? And yes the instructions for compile and link are different for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions...

Have fun
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Exit Programs on Linux on Intel Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

andrewfemin wrote:
compiled the program using gcc and tried it out. But it was not copying the messages to the audit queue. Is there any way I can debug this? If yes, can you please let me know how?

Vitor wrote:
exits have disadvantages often discussed on this forum

One of which is the difficulty in debugging them.

Be glad it's just not working - an exit with a significant problem (especially one that's been compiled or linked incorrectly) can bring down the object it's linked with (in your case the queue manager).

I echo the many comments of my worthy associates. In summary:

- be sure to follow the compilation and linkage instructions exactly. These are platform specific (because you're linking the exit into the specific version of MQ which is a binary specific for that platform).
- if you're bound and determined to use an exit, use one where you have some support. If you can find the developers of this, and they understand Linux as well as AIX, get them on this. If not, speak to Roger.
- Examine other solutions. As I and others have said, if the best answer is an exit you're asking the wrong question.......

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Exit Programs on Linux on Intel
Jump to: