ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple channels between two Queue Managers

Multiple channels between two Queue Managers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqapp26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Multiple channels between two Queue Managers Reply with quote

I'm a new employee and I've been assigned to help with IBM MQ. We give support to an organization that uses MQ (v9.0) to communicate to an external partner. It's a simple layout, as far as I know, a single local queue manager connected to an external one trough one single channel. Various applications use different queues to communicate trough this QM.

A couple of weeks ago the client had trouble deleting a queue (there were connections opened to that queue) and after solving that, my boss came to the conclusion that having one single channel to funnel all the messages from the different queues (and applications that use such queues) is not good.

He wants me to write a report detailing what criteria should we use to separate the message flows into different channels, and what benefits and inconveniences would this entail. The objective of such report is to help pitching the changes to the client.
I've not been given details on the specifics of the applications that communicate trough MQ or what and how many queues we have to work with because my boss wants a generic answer that can apply to other similar situations.

I'm fairly new to IBM MQ, and I'm having trouble finding information on this topic. I have a superficial idea about it, but I'd like the opinion of someone with more experience on the subject.
Is separating message flows into different channels a good idea? What would be a good criteria to use?
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple channels between two Queue Managers Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqapp26 wrote:
...Is separating message flows into different channels a good idea? What would be a good criteria to use?

Nice of your boss to give you a gentle lead-in

What your boss is after can be considered class-of-service channels, for example:

1. Non-Persistent message, small-message channel;
2. Persistent message, small-message channel;
3. Non-Persistent message, large-message channel;
4. Persistent message, large-message channel.

For each of the above you would require an appropriate transmission queue, and of course the appropriate settings - batch size is an example, which you'd keep low for large persistent messages. If all the messages are the same size/persistency, whether they go down one pipe or another becomes moot, although even in that case, if there are a LOT of messages, multiple channels can bring efficiency in getting them out of your queue manager.

As regards your client having trouble deleting a queue, well that's down to them - it's up to them to do the necessary actions to stop applications/channels from opening the queue.

I would advise that you ask your boss for training, especially if this is going to become your day job, and as for the design-side aspect of MQ (into which category your question falls), providing solution design is something that comes with time and experience.
mqapp26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer, it helped a lot. This is supposed to be part of my training (quite harsh if you ask me, but what can i do? -_-). I think he's more interested in me learning more about mq than the resulting report. Most likely he'll end up doing the heavy lifting before pitching the proposal back to the client.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

In my view, asking someone to make design decisions (about anything) without the background knowledge to know the possible perils, pitfall, and consequences of those decisions smacks of bad management...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Besides class-of-service, a 2nd channel might carry proprietary data (like funds transfers) that must/should be encrypted with TLS.

Will the 2nd or 3rd MQ channel between qmgrs share the same physical link (copper, fiber, wireless)? If the physical link nears its saturation, a 2nd physical link will be needed.
mqapp26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i'll be making any decisions. A follow up question, i see the point in separating small and large messages for persistent messages. But what would be the benefit with non-persistent messages?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqapp26 wrote:
I don't think i'll be making any decisions. A follow up question, i see the point in separating small and large messages for persistent messages. But what would be the benefit with non-persistent messages?

Persistent messages are logged, non-persistent messages are not logged. Non-persistent messages will be delayed by the logging of persistent messages ahead of them in the xmit queue.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqapp26 wrote:

It was just an example, but take a look in the Knowledge Centre regarding NPMSPEED and what it does...

...and my esteemed colleague has just provided a real-world example.
mqapp26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I'll take a look at the knowledge center and I'll try to give my boss a sneak peak to see if this is what he had in mind.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple channels between two Queue Managers
Jump to: