ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB Node connected to multiple QMGRs

IIB Node connected to multiple QMGRs « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
saviobarr
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: IIB Node connected to multiple QMGRs Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,
I was studying about MQ topologies, and I saw an scenario which one Integration Node is connected to three QMGRs.
Question: if there is only one IIB property to set QMGR, how is it possible to have more than one QMGR on an Integration Node?
Source (see section "scenario 1"):
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac25961_.htm

Have a nice weekend

Savio
mpong
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

What version of IIB are you using? Did you look at the MQConnection property of MQ nodes in any version of IIB 10?
saviobarr
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

mpong wrote:
What version of IIB are you using? Did you look at the MQConnection property of MQ nodes in any version of IIB 10?

Version 10.
saviobarr
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Did you look at the MQConnection property of MQ nodes in any version of IIB 10?

Is that behavior achieved by setting these properties?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi Savio,
Regarding your query
Quote:
how is it possible to have more than one QMGR on an Integration Node?

I don't think it is possible for IIB to have multiple 'local queue manager' as such but you can get IIB to talk to multiple local Qmgrs and remote QMgrs via combination of the default qmgr connection and via client connections.

For eg:- referring to the IBM example, you can configure one MQInput node to connect to QMGR1 (assume this one as IIB's local qmgr), another MQInput node to talk to QMGR2 running on the same server via client mode and an MQOutput node to send messages to QMGR3 (a remote qmgr) again via client mode.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

However - do not go around connecting point to point via client mode unless there is a very good reason.

Sending all messages via your "local" QMGR (as was perfectly adequate for the first 18 years of IIB's life) is generally preferable.

Why use client mode if you have a local QM?

1. Doesn't know any better.
2. Want to create synchronous co-dependencies on other QMs.
3. See (1).
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Why use client mode if you have a local QM?

Because you can save some PVUs and align IIB with other MQ-aware applications that huddle round a hub queue manager rather than having one specific to IIB. I accept that you could use the previous version queue manager as such a hub, but it does confuse and confound the topology, gives you cross dependencies, cross maintenance people and so forth.

I certainly concur that you shouldn't just client IIB onto every queue manager in your estate and use it as a message hub. More traditional queue manager to queue manager topologies are time tested and true for such use cases.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer, if you already have a local QMGR for the broker, your arguments don't really apply.

I can see some cases for not having a local queue manager on the broker host (although you lose some key broker functions).

However point to point MQ connections will be a support challenge and I can foresee configuration errors causing havoc. In my experience, if a developer/deployer can get it wrong - they will.

If you were to nominate a hub qmgr on another host as the primary one for the broker - this would reduce the risk of anarchy. However it might also reduce transactional integrity.

For asynchronous traffic using a client connection to the target QM makes the broker flow dependent on the target QM being available whenever needed and not using the store and forward capability of MQ.

Expect broker support callouts whenever one of these non-broker QMs goes down for any reason causing flows to fail.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer, if you already have a local QMGR for the broker, your arguments don't really apply.

They apply to me, because we're deliberately removing the local queue manager used by our IIBv9 installations when they're upgraded to IIBv10, and using our hubs. The use of a local queue manager for v10 will be an exception, paid for by the development team that wants to use a function in their flow that requires a local queue manager on v10.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
zpat wrote:

They apply to me, because we're deliberately removing the local queue manager used by our IIBv9 installations when they're upgraded to IIBv10, and using our hubs. The use of a local queue manager for v10 will be an exception, paid for by the development team that wants to use a function in their flow that requires a local queue manager on v10.

What will they pay for? The license for a local copy of MQ on the IIB server is included in the IIB license.

If its funny-money company-bucks to cover the additional administration of another queue manager, OK, I get that. But there are no PVUs to save by avoiding the local QM.

Has there been any (legitimate) concerns or issues with performance for the flows that now need to make MQ Client API calls?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
What will they pay for? The license for a local copy of MQ on the IIB server is included in the IIB license.

Shush.......

PeterPotkay wrote:
If its funny-money company-bucks to cover the additional administration of another queue manager, OK, I get that.

PeterPotkay wrote:
But there are no PVUs to save by avoiding the local QM

If our application people find out, I'm holding you accountable.

PeterPotkay wrote:
Has there been any (legitimate) concerns or issues with performance for the flows that now need to make MQ Client API calls?

None of our testing has indicated this.
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
If our application people find out, I'm holding you accountable

It is documented at the infocenter as well Vitor...

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bh25920_.htm

Quote:
When you purchase a license for IBM Integration Bus, your license entitles you to install and use WebSphere® MQ, which enables you to use the IBM Integration Bus features that require MQ functionality.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abhi_thri wrote:
Quote:
If our application people find out, I'm holding you accountable

It is documented at the infocenter as well Vitor...

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bh25920_.htm

Quote:
When you purchase a license for IBM Integration Bus, your license entitles you to install and use WebSphere® MQ, which enables you to use the IBM Integration Bus features that require MQ functionality.

Yeah, and application developers read the InfoCenter

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB Node connected to multiple QMGRs
Jump to: