ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » purpose of .jar files

purpose of .jar files « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: purpose of .jar files Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello team,

What is the reason application teams ask for .jar files? Are these files used as an alternate for the mq client component? If so, how are these files used and do they still need a ccdt or .binding file to connect to the remote qmgr?

Thanks for your time.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If you mean the MQ .jar files, it's generally because the Applications people 'bundle' them into their package - rather than include them in CLASSPATH etc.

I believe that's not officially supported by IBM still, but in later versions IBM supplied 'relocatable' jars, and now provide 're-distributable' ones.

The problem with Apps bundling them is that they never get updated.
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

exerk wrote:
If you mean the MQ .jar files, it's generally because the Applications people 'bundle' them into their package - rather than include them in CLASSPATH etc.

I believe that's not officially supported by IBM still, but in later versions IBM supplied 'relocatable' jars, and now provide 're-distributable' ones.

The problem with Apps bundling them is that they never get updated.

Yes, I meant MQ .jars.
So, bundling these MQ .jars in applications .ears avoids the need of MQ Client component? And do they still need the ccdt or .bindings to make a connection to remote qmgr?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MQMB&WAS wrote:
...And do they still need the ccdt or .bindings to make a connection to remote qmgr?

Depends on how their application handles that - the site I'm on at the moment uses neither, but I'd prefer them to use a CCDT.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQMB&WAS wrote:
So, bundling these MQ .jars in applications .ears avoids the need of MQ Client component?

You either need to make the jar files available to the application by installing the client, or by bundling the jars with the application. As my worthy associate points out, if the jars are bundled with the application experience teaches that they will never, ever, ever be updated and will become progressively back version to your queue manager.

MQMB&WAS wrote:
And do they still need the ccdt or .bindings to make a connection to remote qmgr?

Yes, because these components only contain the code needed to make a connection. They don't (and can't) contain the configuration information that says where the queue manager is. Do try and think this through.

If you're happy to have the jar files bundled with the application and remove the need for the MQ Client, then you can have the application supply the connection information as well and remove the need for a CCDT or bindings file as well.

That way not only will the application be stuck using the same level of MQ for it's client, it will be stuck using the same connection information. So not only can you break the application by upgrading the queue manager to a level the client doesn't support, you can break it by changing it's IP address.

exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
...That way not only will the application be stuck using the same level of MQ for it's client, it will be stuck using the same connection information. So not only can you break the application by upgrading the queue manager to a level the client doesn't support, you can break it by changing it's IP address.

Are you looking over my shoulder?
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Thanks for clearing my doubts, exerk and Vitor.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:
...That way not only will the application be stuck using the same level of MQ for it's client, it will be stuck using the same connection information. So not only can you break the application by upgrading the queue manager to a level the client doesn't support, you can break it by changing it's IP address.

It's not your shoulder.......
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:

It's not your shoulder.......

I was only worried before, now I'm terrified!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Ah, the joys of distributed apps.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:

As of MQ 8.0.0.4, it is supported.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/messaging/entry/Bitesize_Blogging_MQ_8_0_0_4_Redistributable_Clients?lang=en

Its Scenario #8 here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27048440
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:

If you're happy to have the jar files bundled with the application and remove the need for the MQ Client, then you can have the application supply the connection information as well and remove the need for a CCDT or bindings file as well.

That way not only will the application be stuck using the same level of MQ for it's client, it will be stuck using the same connection information. So not only can you break the application by upgrading the queue manager to a level the client doesn't support, you can break it by changing it's IP address.

Because every time we upgrade an MQ server, we upgrade all the MQ Clients, just not the ones that bundled the jars, right? Rrrriiiight.

If some company has an MQ team with the resources to install MQ Client on every app server and patch every install of client as they patch the MQ servers, I'd be amazed. And jealous.

Back in the real world I'd rather show the apps how they can get the jars, how they can include them with their app, in their app or alongside their app (IBM offers several ways now), and most importantly show them how they can be initially "installed" and maintained going forward without someone with root or Administrator rights, and especially without it being an MQ Admin. Its not too much to ask the app to have some accountability in the currency of their software. I said ask, not expect.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
If some company has an MQ team with the resources to install MQ Client on every app server and patch every install of client as they patch the MQ servers, I'd be amazed. And jealous.

The miracle of automation.

Getting all the app teams to regression test their existing apps with the new clients is like herding cats as it is. Getting them to actually "change" their applications by putting new jars in and do a full retest is something I'm too old to consider.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
... herding cats ...

I used this expression at a client quite some time ago. I was promptly attacked by a sysadmin who thought she heard me say "hurting cats," which is an entirely different subject.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

The miracle of automation.

Touche

It is less a technical challenge and more a people/process/politics problem.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » purpose of .jar files
Jump to: