ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Message Flow monitoring

Message Flow monitoring « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Message Flow monitoring Reply with quote

Centurion

Hey everyone,
I have to monitor a message flow in order to know if it is running or not. If it is not in execution/stopped, I have to take some action.
Is there some builtin resource in IIB that provides such capability?

Have a great day

Savio Barros
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...you can use mqsilist command to check the state of a flow/application,

below command lists out all message flows on the node
E.g:- mqsilist <brokername> -r | grep "Message flow" | sort -k 8

you can check at specific integration server level as well using '-e' flag

mqsilist <brokername> -e <integration server>
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

abhi_thri wrote:
hi...you can use mqsilist command to check the state of a flow/application,

below command lists out all message flows on the node
E.g:- mqsilist <brokername> -r | grep "Message flow" | sort -k 8

you can check at specific integration server level as well using '-e' flag

mqsilist <brokername> -e <integration server>

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I am considering mqsilist to verify it, but it is a passive action (someone needs to run the command).
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

saviobarr wrote:
(someone needs to run the command)

Like cron or some other piece of software?

In what cases do you think a flow would not be in execution / stopped? Without the broker producing a BIP message that doesn't need anyone to run anything? Why not check for that?

What action do you intend to take? How would you know to take the action, i.e. in the ideal (and probably non-existent) world where IIB has the built in resource you ask about, what would this resource do?
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,
Thanks for replying
Quote:
In what cases do you think a flow would not be in execution / stopped?

I.E.: It's a client requirement .

Quote:
Without the broker producing a BIP message that doesn't need anyone to run anything? Why not check for that?

It works fine, but it is a passive action

Quote:
What action do you intend to take?

mqsistartmsgflow

Quote:
How would you know to take the action

That is my question : does IIB have some resource that does the job?

Quote:
i.e. in the ideal (and probably non-existent) world where IIB has the built in resource you ask about, what would this resource do?

What I configure it to do

I understood that IIB does not have such built in resource, so this requirement can be addressed by doing some script some script that runs mqsilist command (among other actions)

[]'s
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

saviobarr wrote:

Quote:
In what cases do you think a flow would not be in execution / stopped?

I.E.: It's a client requirement .

Ok, that's neither an answer to my question nor a technical requirement.

saviobarr wrote:
Quote:
Without the broker producing a BIP message that doesn't need anyone to run anything? Why not check for that?

It works fine, but it is a passive action

No it isn't. What's passive about parsing the log with splunk (or similar) and cutting a ticket?

saviobarr wrote:
Quote:
What action do you intend to take?

mqsistartmsgflow

This is what I mean about it not being a technical requirement. So what your client wants is an automatic facility to check if the flow is not running and issue an mqsistartflow if it's not. And when the flow stops running 30 seconds later for the same reason it stopped originally, automatically detect this fact and issue another mqsistartflow. Which 30 seconds later will be followed by another automatically generated mqsistartflow, then another, then another, etc.

What your client fails to grasp (and which you've clearly failed to convey to them) is that if a flow is configured to be running, the IBM software will restart it if it fails. The responsibility of the user is to find out why it failed and fix the root cause, not blindly restart it to fail again.

Also if you have this mechanism, how will you ever stop the flow to patch the broker? A stopped flow either means regularly scheduled maintenance or someone has mqsibroker authority who shouldn't.

saviobarr wrote:
Quote:
i.e. in the ideal (and probably non-existent) world where IIB has the built in resource you ask about, what would this resource do?

What I configure it to do

Manically issue an mqsistart until the flow stays up?

You can do this with a cron. You don't actually need to check anything; put an mqsistart command in the cron and have it issue the command every 10 seconds. An mqsistart has no effect on a running flow, and nothing you've said here says anything about doing anything between the flow stopping and the flow being restarted (like investigation).

Now what we do (and obviously neither you nor your clients need this level of sophistication) is parse the log. If the parser sees a BIP message saying that the broker's had to restart the flow (or indeed the EG in which it runs) we cut a ticket to have the problem investigated. If it happens again within a configured time frame, the ticket is escalated. If the parser sees a BIP message saying the flow's been stopped manually, the ticket system (which happens to be our change control system) checks for an open change record covering the outage. If it sees one, it cuts a low priority ticket for someone to verify the flow restarted after the change (when we have more money, we'll automate cancelling the ticket when the BIP message about the flow starting turns up ). If there's no change record, it cuts a priority 1 ticket and someone gets me out of bed.

Then bad things happen. Bad, bad, bad things.
saviobarr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Ok, that's neither an answer to my question nor a technical requirement.

Non tech req

Quote:
No it isn't. What's passive about parsing the log with splunk (or similar) and cutting a ticket?

Good idea. I will consider Splunk

Quote:
This is what I mean about it not being a technical requirement. So what your client wants is an automatic facility to check if the flow is not running and issue an mqsistartflow if it's not.

The short answer is yes

Quote:
And when the flow stops running 30 seconds later for the same reason it stopped originally, automatically detect this fact and issue another mqsistartflow. Which 30 seconds later will be followed by another automatically generated mqsistartflow, then another, then another, etc.

Retry logic to control how many times it is started in a given time frame

Quote:
What your client fails to grasp (and which you've clearly failed to convey to them) is that if a flow is configured to be running, the IBM software will restart it if it fails.

Good observation

Quote:
The responsibility of the user is to find out why it failed and fix the root cause, not blindly restart it to fail again.

Yes. I agree, but in order to investigate the root cause the user needs to get notified. The start msg flow action is just an vague example. Issue a notification fits good in the screnario

Quote:
Also if you have this mechanism, how will you ever stop the flow to patch the broker? A stopped flow either means regularly scheduled
maintenance

stop the robot before the maintenance

Quote:
or someone has mqsibroker authority who shouldn't

Kill the guy who gave the brk authority and the one who got

Quote:
Manically issue an mqsistart until the flow stays up?

Retry logic

Quote:
You can do this with a cron. You don't actually need to check anything; put an mqsistart command in the cron and have it issue the command every 10 seconds. An mqsistart has no effect on a running flow, and nothing you've said here says anything about doing anything between the flow stopping and the flow being restarted (like investigation).

I actually intend to trigger an investigation once the user gets notified

Quote:
Now what we do (and obviously neither you nor your clients need this level of sophistication) is parse the log. If the parser sees a BIP message saying that the broker's had to restart the flow (or indeed the EG in which it runs) we cut a ticket to have the problem investigated. If it happens again within a configured time frame, the ticket is escalated. If the parser sees a BIP message saying the flow's been stopped manually, the ticket system (which happens to be our change control system) checks for an open change record covering the outage. If it sees one, it cuts a low priority ticket for someone to verify the flow restarted after the change (when we have more money, we'll automate cancelling the ticket when the BIP message about the flow starting turns up ).

I think it would be a overkill, considering the requirement and the budget

Quote:
If there's no change record, it cuts a priority 1 ticket and someone gets me out of bed.

Then bad things happen. Bad, bad, bad things

Nobody wants that

I appreciate your time and your valuable considerations. Thank you!

[]'s

Savio
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

saviobarr wrote:
Quote:
or someone has mqsibroker authority who shouldn't

Kill the guy who gave the brk authority and the one who got

Vitor wrote:
Then bad things happen. Bad, bad, bad things

After they face me, their bruised and bleeding remains are carried to Cyber Security and anything left is dropped into the pit of Operational Risk Management. At this point, death is a mercy they can only beg for.
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi Savio...in case you are not aware if an integration server/execution group crashes for some reason the startDataFlowEngine process (v8/v9) or one of the bip parent process (in v10) will attempt to restart it.

You can verify this by killing an EG explicitly and it should get restarted automatically (you see entries at the syslog showing the same)
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abhi_thri wrote:
Hi Savio...in case you are not aware if an integration server/execution group crashes for some reason the startDataFlowEngine process (v8/v9) or one of the bip parent process (in v10) will attempt to restart it.

You can verify this by killing an EG explicitly and it should get restarted automatically (you see entries at the syslog showing the same)

I think I made these points above
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Please ignore me Vitor...guess i was on too much caffeine today...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abhi_thri wrote:
too much caffeine

No such thing.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Vitor wrote:
abhi_thri wrote:
too much caffeine

No such thing.

Use in moderation. https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-overdose-facts-and-fiction

Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

gbaddeley wrote:
Vitor wrote:
abhi_thri wrote:
too much caffeine

No such thing.

Use in moderation. https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-overdose-facts-and-fiction

Propaganda put about by the tea growers association.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Whatever means you use, it would help to allow for exceptions, for example read a file containing any flow names that are NOT to be auto-restarted.

However unless stopped manually, the flows will keep running - I've never seen a need for this sort of monitoring. You could use the administration API (CMPAPI to do it from Java).

If the flows read queues, you can monitor whether the queue is open for input using your MQ monitoring.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Message Flow monitoring
Jump to: