ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 and FTP

IIB 10 and FTP « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
alma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: IIB 10 and FTP Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,
I like to 'migrate' an IIS FTP site onto IIB 10 or MQ but I do not have got any idea whether it is possible.
Can you give me some advices about it how I achieve this goal, please.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Which platform?

When you say MQ, I presume you mean MQ FTE?
alma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Platform is Windows 2012 R2, IBM App Connect Enterprise 10.0.0.11 and IBM MQ 9.0., no FTE just a simpe MQ.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alma wrote:
Platform is Windows 2012 R2, IBM App Connect Enterprise 10.0.0.11 and IBM MQ 9.0., no FTE just a simpe MQ.

I thought the "enterprise" version was only GA end of March?
alma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We bought it as IIB and I downloaded as IBM App Connect Enterprise from PA. They changed its name at very beginning of this year.
But I am affraid of there isn't any solution to my problem, IIB won't become FTP server (as the sales told us).
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alma wrote:
But I am affraid of there isn't any solution to my problem, IIB won't become FTP server (as the sales told us).

What, exactly, are you looking for from the variably named IBM product? Taking as a starting point that all sales teams from any vendor will assure you that their product will do exactly what you ask (without listening too carefully to what you were asking), IIB will certainly make FTP connections.

If all you want is a simple FTP server that allows remote users to drop files onto the server's file system, then IIB is a heavyweight solution in the same way IIS was. So what did IIS offer you that made you use that as an FTP solution? What drives you to migrate from that?

Offer us some use cases and maybe we can offer some suggestions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Moved to more relevant section
alma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you, I understand. We want to use IIB as an integration device (maybe the only one) connecting togeather different systems or custumers.
In this case I want it to use like an FTP site (in a flow). The user connect to it with their client (WinSCP) and upload files. IIB accepts these file and etc. As I see it is not possible.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alma wrote:
Thank you, I understand. We want to use IIB as an integration device (maybe the only one) connecting togeather different systems or custumers.

Solid use case.

alma wrote:
In this case I want it to use like an FTP site (in a flow). The user connect to it with their client (WinSCP) and upload files. IIB accepts these file and etc. As I see it is not possible.

I'm a bit concerned about users uploading files; for this kind of workflow it's more typical to have an application of some sort mediating the user's input. What will you do if (for example) users start uploading files to the wrong directory and/or with the wrong file name (or name which doesn't conform to the correct naming standard)? What will you do when some chimp uploads a Word document or a picture of his cat because he shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard without a carer?

IIB is perfectly capable of retrieving and processing such application mediated files over FTP.

Moving aside from these design considerations, what's wrong with using the FTP server built into Windows or any of the 3rd party / open source FTP servers to allow the use of WinSCP, at which point IIB can pick up the flow?

I agree that IIB will not listen for the client FTP connection from WinSCP and act as a generalized FTP server. I fail to understand why you'd want it to, and perhaps you could explain that a bit more.

You've also not explained how IIS fitted into this existing set up (except that IIRC it hosts an FTP server) and why you're moving.
alma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We thought we move our every external connection to one place. It would be 'easy' to develop, operate and maintain these interfaces. Actually, IIB + MQ is not a cheap system (plus I asked the salespeson about FTP) so we (I) thought it will work. But it is not a big problem, FTP stays on IIS.
Thank you very much.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

alma wrote:
We thought we move our every external connection to one place. It would be 'easy' to develop, operate and maintain these interfaces.

I hope you don't mean you were considering putting IIB at the edge of your organization as a customer facing file solution........

alma wrote:
Actually, IIB + MQ is not a cheap system

Most industrial CAD packages are not cheap, but they wouldn't have this functionality either. They can't even process & transform files (but they do outperform IIB when it comes to generating 3D models).

alma wrote:
(plus I asked the salespeson about FTP)

Which, as I discuss above, IIB does support. It just doesn't have the FTP capability you're looking for. The question of if you asked the salesperson the wrong question or if the salesperson answered the question he wished you'd asked is a philosophical point I leave as an exercise for the reader.

alma wrote:
so we (I) thought it will work.

This (respectfully) is why you do a proof of concept before buying such a big ticket item like IIB. I refer to my earlier comments regarding the assurances of sales teams.

alma wrote:
But it is not a big problem, FTP stays on IIS.

You may find this topology actually has a number of advantages. It prevents IIB being exposed as a front line service, allows very granular security, makes the building of "circuit breakers" and other DDoS defenses very easy, allows you to check for virus, malware, cat pictures, etc. and still allows you to exploit IIB capabilities to the fullest.

In the interests of transparency, we use Apache rather than IIS to front IIB. As well as a raft of network appliances and a dead drop for incoming files which we trust (even if they come from business partners) as far as we can throw the headquarters building.

(It's not paranoia - we're a bank; they really are after us)

alma wrote:
Thank you very much.

Welcome.
alma
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I see and thanks again for the advise about front-end. Maybe an Apache could be also a good solution for FTP.
'Proof of concept' this animal not known here.
I am the IIB and MQ administrator and developer because I have seen them.
But to tell the thruth I am happy to learn them. I will ask a lots of questions from you. (I love these yellow spots.) Bye

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 and FTP
Jump to: