ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ESQL-Editor in Integration Toolkit 10.0.0.11 very slow

ESQL-Editor in Integration Toolkit 10.0.0.11 very slow « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ralkro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: ESQL-Editor in Integration Toolkit 10.0.0.11 very slow Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I installed IIB 10.0.0.11 on my Windows 7 Laptop and the editing of ESQL-Files is very, very slow. So slow, you can't actually work with it because you type much faster then the characters appear on the screen. Has anybody else experienced the same behaviour? I tested it on 2 different machines with Windows 7 64bit and had a colleague test it on his laptop. With the same result on all machines. 10.0.0.10 on my laptop works just fine.

Any ideas?

Best
Ralf
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Same here, @ralkro. Upgraded from 10.0.0.7 to 10.0.0.11 on Win10.

The behaviour isn't continuous, though. The editor responds slowly off and on, so I suppose it's to do with the toolkit doing some background work. I run my toolkit on a VM stored on a USB disk, with sources on that same disk, so I'd assumed that it was having some trouble indexing the workspace or something like that. Regardless, the behaviour is new to 10.0.0.11; didn't have it with .5 or .7.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Did you guys give it enough memory?
I usually give it double the memory assignment that it comes with out of the box, and it is much more responsive that way...
<iib install>/tools/eclipse.ini
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

fjb_saper wrote:

Increased the max heap size to 4G on a 12G VM. It didn't work - but then I would not expect the memory requirements of the Toolkit to double between versions .7 and .11...
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Gralgrathor wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Increased the max heap size to 4G on a 12G VM. It didn't work - but then I would not expect the memory requirements of the Toolkit to double between versions .7 and .11...

4 GB might be a little bit much.

Try it with
Code:
-vmargs
-Xquickstart
-Xms512m
-Xmx2048m
-Xmnx128m
-Xgcpolicy:gencon
-Xss2m
-XX:PermSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-XX:+UseParallelGC
-Declipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2/

It may be slow at start up, but once it's up it's pretty fast.
ralkro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with both of your suggested settings on Win7 64 with 16GB. Still no change in the ESQL-editor. It keeps beeing very slow. Same (fresh) workspace in 10.0.0.10 is working fine. I might have to open a PMR for that.
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

fjb_saper wrote:
It may be slow at start up, but once it's up it's pretty fast.

Alas, no improvement. I notice that the Toolkit's allocated heap space jumps rather wildly (eg. 80 -> 250 in a single keystroke (or half a second, which is how long a keystroke takes to register with eclipse right now)) soon as I start typing a new statement, to fall back when I conclude it. I'm sure some increase is only natural, with syntax checking and all, but I wonder how this compares to the previous version of the Toolkit.

-edit-

Quick experiment with 10.0.0.7 (the previous installed version) against the same workspace shows that the fluctuations in allocated heapspace are much less pronounced than with 10.0.0.11. I'm sure .11 is doing something in the background that .7 wasn't, or is using some different algorithm to do it, while I'm typing.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Did you check on fix central if there was anything related to the slowness problem in the ESQL Editor on IIB 10.0.0.11? I was using IIB10.0.0.10
ralkro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Fixpack 11 the included Java version changed from 7 to 8. Maybe something more has been changed under the hood....
Gralgrathor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

fjb_saper wrote:
Did you check on fix central if there was anything related to the slowness problem in the ESQL Editor on IIB 10.0.0.11? I was using IIB10.0.0.10

Did check, but nothing interesting caught my eye.

ralkro wrote:
With Fixpack 11 the included Java version changed from 7 to 8..

That's right, I forgot about that. Might be something there.

- edit -

So, quick experiment running Toolkit v10.0.0.11 against the .7 jvm: the editor's response to keystrokes seems normal, and I haven't seen anything strange yet, so I'm keeping this in my eclipse.ini for now:
Code:
-vm
C:/IBM/IIB/10.0.0.7/common/jdk/jre/bin/javaw-IIB-10.0.0.7.exe

ralkro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me too. When I start the 10.0.0.11 toolkit with Java 7 from 10.0.0.10, the delay while typing in the ESQL-Editor is gone. All very strange but thanks for the hint.

In general I think it is not very clever from IBM to change the underlying Java version of IIB in a minor fixpack. Especially such a major version change from 7 to 8. That will cause some problems on the runtime. Especially if you are using the JavaCompute-Node or Java-Based plugins.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ralkro wrote:
That works for me too. When I start the 10.0.0.11 toolkit with Java 7 from 10.0.0.10, the delay while typing in the ESQL-Editor is gone. All very strange but thanks for the hint.

IMHO this is worthy of a PMR. At the least there should be something prominent in the release notes warning of this explicitly.
rekarm01
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

ralkro wrote:
In general I think it is not very clever from IBM to change the underlying Java version of IIB in a minor fixpack. Especially such a major version change from 7 to 8.

See also here, for more about that.
ralkro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue has been "fixed" in FP 12. You can now disable the "Color Code" in the ESQL-Editor. Editing ESQL-Editor is faster now, but you lose the color coding functionality in the ESQL-Code. A nonsatisfying solution in my opinion.

IT21296: INPUT LATENCY IN ESQL EDITOR
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT21296

IT24372: SLOW ESQL EDITOR WITH SMALL PROJECTS
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT24372
rekarm01
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

ralkro wrote:
The issue has been "fixed" in FP 12 ...

Is that instead of switching back from Java 8 to Java 7, or in addition to doing that?

The first fix had to with editing large ESQL files; maybe that's why the toolkit creates a separate ESQL file for each module now, to keep the ESQL files small. "Open with ... Text editor" also disables color-coding ...

The second fix reduces the frequency of ESQL validation calls. Is that sufficient to leave the color-coding enabled?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ESQL-Editor in Integration Toolkit 10.0.0.11 very slow
Jump to: