ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Reading from and writing into same queue

Reading from and writing into same queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
riyaz_tak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reading from and writing into same queue Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi

I know it's a silly question but still I want to ask it.
I have IBM mq 8.0 installed on Solaris 10 box.
I have created 2 local queues .
Now I have 2 components where one will put the message and other will read the message and vice versa from the same queue manager.

So what would be the type of channels ?Will it be sdr and rcvr? Or something else?

Will I need 2 set of such channels?

Please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by riyaz_tak on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If the components are on the same machine as the queue manager, you don't need channels, but might want to use them. These would be SVRCONN channels and (possibly) CLNTCONN channels. There's a wealth of documentation on client connections and a lot of discussion on this forum.

You don't need 2 channels to achieve what you want, but you might want to use separate channels.

If it was me, I'd use channels and I'd have one per component. But it's not me, it's you.
riyaz_tak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks a lot. english is not my first language so sorry for that.

So what I understood that I will use svrconn to put and CLNTCONN channel to receive the message from the same queue manager and i will use 2 set of them for each component.

is it correct?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

riyaz_tak wrote:
is it correct?

No.

SVRCONN and CLNTCONN are the 2 ends of the client channel in the same way a SNDR & a RCVR are the 2 ends of a queue manager to queue manager channel. Unlike a queue manager connection, a client channel is bi-directional so you can get & put through a single client channel.

So if you decided to have a client connection for each component, the 2 client connections would be identical in configuration.

Note that, as laid out in the documentation, it's possible to have MQ auto-define a CLNTCONN so don't jump straight down the rabbit hole of manually defining them. You will need to manually define the SVRCONN(s).
riyaz_tak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Just to be clear, since you seem to be fairly new to MQ, CLNTCONN and SVRCONN channels are only needed if the application (the thing actually doing the MQPUTs and MQGETs) is on a different physical machine than the Queue Manager.

If everything is running on the same Solaris 10 box then there is no need for any channels at all.

Cheers,

Paul.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

To further explain...

If the MQGETting and MQPUTting applications are executing in the same o/s image (box, LPAR, etc.) as the qmgr, then the apps can MQCONNect in server-bindings mode - no channels needed.

If the MQGETting and MQPUTting applications are executing in a different o/s image (box, LPAR) than the qmgr, OR these are Java/JMS apps, then the qmgr will need a SVRCONN channel to accept the inbound connections from client-bindings apps.
tczielke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

PaulClarke wrote:
Just to be clear, since you seem to be fairly new to MQ, CLNTCONN and SVRCONN channels are only needed if the application (the thing actually doing the MQPUTs and MQGETs) is on a different physical machine than the Queue Manager.

If everything is running on the same Solaris 10 box then there is no need for any channels at all.

Cheers,

Paul.

I would give this one caveat. IBM rejected my RFE for the ability for an administrator to be able to set a limit on how many connections a locally bound application can make into a queue manager. Therefore, it is possible for a poorly written or malicious locally bound application to take down a queue manager (for example exhaust the mqm nproc setting on Linux) by just creating excessive connections into the queue manager. If you want protections against this "attack vector", you are forced to only allow client connections for all MQ applications, even for MQ applications that run on the same server as the queue manager.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PaulClarke wrote:

But you may choose to use them for the reasons given by my worthy associate and myself.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Reading from and writing into same queue
Jump to: