ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Remote DB2 configuration with WMB v8

Remote DB2 configuration with WMB v8 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Ganapa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Remote DB2 configuration with WMB v8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the following scenario, and I need some input from the expertise from this forum..

We have message broker v8 installed on the Linux machine and the DB2 exist on the remote iSeries server. I need to configure the broker to talk to the remote DB2 database which is on iSeries.

Here are my questions,

What type of DB2 Client software is needed on the Linux machine to talk to remote DB2 database on iSeries using ODBC/JDBC connection? Do we need to install DB2 Client/DB2 Connect or Just DB2 ODBC/CLI drivers would be sufficient?

Is it a best practice to configure the broker to support both ODBC/JDBC connections? or just either one of them? or is it based on business and technical skill availability?

At this point of time, we cannot afford to get licence for the DB2 Client on the Linux machine.. So any other work around or open source suggestions are welcome.

I really appreciate your time and for the input for my questions.

Thanks
Ganapa

Last edited by Ganapa on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You need the version of DB2 client that is known to work with the database you're trying to connect to.

This is true regardless of whether you're using JDBC and ODBC.

It is a false statement to say "I have a business requirement to do X" and then also say "I can not afford to do X".

You say "I need to connect from Broker to DB2 on iSeries". It is a false statement to then say "I can't afford to install a database client on Broker".

You HAVE TO INSTALL A CLIENT ON THE LINUX BOX HOSTING THE BROKER.

FULL STOP.
ganesh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff wrote:
You need the version of DB2 client that is known to work with the database you're trying to connect to.

It is a false statement to say "I have a business requirement to do X" and then also say "I can not afford to do X".

You say "I need to connect from Broker to DB2 on iSeries". It is a false statement to then say "I can't afford to install a database client on Broker".

FULL STOP.

mqjeff - I have a v8 broker installed on windows and i was able to make a connection to a db2 running on i5 without a db2 client running on the windows machine. I used the iseries Access odbc driver and set the system DSN and defined the datasource. Just curious if it is different for linux?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

ganesh wrote:
mqjeff - I have a v8 broker installed on windows and i was able to make a connection to a db2 running on i5 without a db2 client running on the windows machine. I used the iseries Access odbc driver and set the system DSN and defined the datasource. Just curious if it is different for linux?

That's not a supported ODBC driver.

You can't use Windows ODBC drivers on Linux.
ganesh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Quote:
You can't use Windows ODBC drivers on Linux

True, but if i get a db2 driver for linux from the net and configure it will it not work without the db2 client installation?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

ganesh wrote:
Quote:

True, but if i get a db2 driver for linux from the net and configure it will it not work without the db2 client installation?

Not in a supported manner, no.

You do understand what the business value of supported is, don't you?
ganesh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

[quote="mqjeff"]
ganesh wrote:
Quote:

You do understand what the business value of supported is, don't you?

Got it.
Ganapa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:

FULL STOP.

Thanks Jeff for your suggestion. Basically my client is cost constraint, so thats why we were also looking for open source or non-licenced drivers to connect to remote DB. I understand your point.

Thanks!
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Ganapa wrote:
Basically my client is cost constraint

How much more does it cost to develop everything in java compute nodes using JDBC drivers than it does to develop everything using mapping nodes?

And I don't just mean "initial cost", I mean "cost over the lifetime of the solution".
Ganapa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
Ganapa wrote:
Basically my client is cost constraint

How much more does it cost to develop everything in java compute nodes using JDBC drivers than it does to develop everything using mapping nodes?

And I don't just mean "initial cost", I mean "cost over the lifetime of the solution".

I really don't have cost estimation for this. I see your point..
mca
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi Ganapa,

I am trying to do the same you did years ago. We are trying to connect IIB v10 on Linux with DB2 on mainframes. We installed DB2 client to get the needed driver and configured odbc file as below.

[ODBC Data Sources]
DB2TEST=IBM DB2 ODBC Driver

[DB2TEST]
Driver=/opt/IBM/db2/V10.5_FP9/lib64/libdb2o.so
Description=IBM DB2 ODBC Database
Database=DTDSND
HostName=CA.LCL
PortNumber=50000

[ODBC]
InstallDir=/opt/ibm/mqsi/10.0.0.9/server/ODBC/drivers
UseCursorLib=0
IANAAppCodePage=4
UNICODE=UTF-8

We set the DB2 parms

mqsisetdbparms BRKR1 -n DB2TEST -u DEV1 -p DEV1_PASS

When we test the connection, i get the error below...

mqsicvp BRKR1 -n DB2TEST

BIP2393E: Database error: ODBC return code '-1' from data source ''DB2TEST'' using ODBC driver manager ''/opt/ibm/mqsi/10.0.0.9/ie02/lib/libodbcinterface.so''.
The integration node received an error when processing a database operation. The ODBC return code was '-1'. See the following messages for information obtained from the database about this error.
Use the following messages to determine the cause of the error. Typical problems are an incorrect data source, or table names. Correct either the database or the integration node configuration. Use the mqsicvp command to test connectivity to this database.
BIP2322E: Database error: SQL State ''IM004''; Native Error Code '0'; Error Text ''[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed''.
The error has the following diagnostic information: SQL State ''IM004'' SQL Native Error Code '0' SQL Error Text ''[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed''
This message may be accompanied by other messages describing the effect on the integration node itself. Use the reason identified in this message with the accompanying messages to determine the cause of the error. Use the mqsicvp command to test connectivity to this database.

Can you please help me if we are missing any configuration steps to connect to remote DB2 on mainframes ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

That's because when you want to go from DB2 distributed to db2 MainFrame you need to also have db2connect in the mix...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Remote DB2 configuration with WMB v8
Jump to: