ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Connecting MQ Explorer to Server.. or not

Connecting MQ Explorer to Server.. or not « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
parliament
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Connecting MQ Explorer to Server.. or not Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

So I'm trying to figure this out, but to no avail. I can't seem to find the issue. I get this error while trying to connect my MQExplorer to the MQ server which is placed on a VirtualBox

Quote:

Could not establish a connection to the queue manager - reason 2538. (AMQ4059)
Severity: 10 (Warning)
Explanation: The attempt to connect to the queue manager failed. This could be because the queue manager is incorrectly configured to allow a connection from this system, or the connection has been broken.
Response: Try the operation again. If the error persists, examine the problem determination information to see if any information has been recorded.

This is usually self explanatory:
-MQExplorer setup is wrong: IP/port at least
-Listener or channel is not defined or not started

Needless to say they are up and running. While I can ping from host machine to virtualbox MQ server, I can't seem to connect. Also AMQERR0x.LOG gives no info. If I tail any of the logs, there is no error.

Anyone have any ideas?

[EDIT1] if I telnet the MQhost I can see incoming traffic on the server. Also, a quick netstat shows the open port as intended.

[EDIT2] This is my setup:
-Host is windows 10 with VirtualBox5 installed
-QueueManager is installed on a RedHat Virtual Machine with bridged networking

Last edited by parliament on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Check for firewall daemon running on Linux.

If you literally mean Virtualbox (as in the Oracle software) then you probably need to bridge/open the port on the virtual network adapter or something like that.
parliament
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the reply!

I already have a bridged network so I have access to the local network with the VM, as if it were just another phisical machine.

So I can ping from the host to the VM.

The firewall has rules for port 1414:
Quote:

634 firewall-cmd --add-port=1414/tcp
635 firewall-cmd --reload

Additional info:
Quote:

$ netstat -an|grep 1414
tcp6 0 0 :::1414 :::* LISTEN

zpat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Try turning the firewall fully off.

What happens if you telnet to port 1414?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

so from your windows box can you telnet the virtual box (red hat) ip and port?

For docker to work we had to do it all using an elevated command prompt. (docker-machine default is a virtual box machine...) Otherwise telnet could not access the open ports... on the virtual box machine.
Mind you we had to also start the virtual machine from an elevated access...

Hope it works for you
parliament
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Quote:
Try turning the firewall fully off.

What happens if you telnet to port 1414?

I've turned off the firewall. Telnet from Windows gets me Could not open connection to the host, on port 1414: Connect failed
In the virtual machine I get:

tcpdump port 1414
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on enp0s3, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
11:57:14.191239 IP l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217 > node01.ibm-mqseries: Flags [S], seq 2674253199, win 64240, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale 8,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0
11:57:14.191256 IP node01.ibm-mqseries > l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217: Flags [R.], seq 0, ack 2674253200, win 0, length 0
11:57:14.692298 IP l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217 > node01.ibm-mqseries: Flags [S], seq 2674253199, win 64240, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale 8,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0
11:57:14.692328 IP node01.ibm-mqseries >l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217: Flags [R.], seq 0, ack 1, win 0, length 0
11:57:15.193577 IP l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217 > node01.ibm-mqseries: Flags [S], seq 2674253199, win 64240, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale 8,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0
11:57:15.193619 IP node01.ibm-mqseries > l29wf8xxxxxxx.com.51217: Flags [R.], seq 0, ack 1, win 0, length 0

So we know something reaches the VM. It's just not able to pass through to the QueueManager. Still nothing in AMQERR01.LOG .
parliament
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:
so from your windows box can you telnet the virtual box (red hat) ip and port?

For docker to work we had to do it all using an elevated command prompt. (docker-machine default is a virtual box machine...) Otherwise telnet could not access the open ports... on the virtual box machine.
Mind you we had to also start the virtual machine from an elevated access...

Hope it works for you

Thank you for the tip, I will look into it
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

By the way have you tried with a NAT network adapter instead of a bridged one? (Just add a second adapter and make it NAT)...
We don't have the choice for the docker box and are getting a bridged network. However you should be able to choose with VB and MQ on RHEL.
parliament
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi! So here is the conclusion of this endeavor:

I have tried adding the port 1414 to the firewall exceptions, with the success reply. For some reason it did not work. I tried stopping the firewall. That did not work either.

For some unknown reason( since I am a noob at Linux) after a few hours, when I came to check on the queue manager, it worked. So I started the firewall again and needless to say the problem reappeared. So the problem was indeed coming from the firewall. I added the port again with the same command(
Quote:
firewall-cmd --add-port=1414/tcp
) to no avail. Read up on the redhad firewall some more. And I realized I can verify the port with
Quote:
firewall-cmd --list-ports
. The port was not there. In the end I found this to work :
Quote:
firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=1414/tcp
. Now I have connection through the firewall.

Thank you guys for helping me . I would've not verified the firewall since I thought the port was added( and I didn't bother to verify it: f***ing shortcuts)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Connecting MQ Explorer to Server.. or not
Jump to: