ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ Installation issue on Power HA server

MQ Installation issue on Power HA server « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: MQ Installation issue on Power HA server Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

We got a task to configure new MQ Power HA servers, one is active and another one is failover. I installed MQ software on both nodes. In active node i am missing mqm directory under /var. Can i copy the mqm directory from failover or else i need to install MQ software again. If i copy what will happen?
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

And what does the Knowledge Centre for the version of MQ you're using state?
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We are using 8.0.0.4 base version on that we applied 8.0.0.7 fixpack. we are using aix 7.1.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

nrameshmq wrote:
We are using 8.0.0.4 base version on that we applied 8.0.0.7 fixpack. we are using aix 7.1.

Go to the KC for that version and search on "Power HA"
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi

I read in KC about how to configure MQ on Power HA. I don't find info about installation. My doubt is if we miss mqm directory can we copy from other sever which having same configuration. No QManager created on both servers on MQ packages installed.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

nrameshmq wrote:
Hi

I read in KC about how to configure MQ on Power HA. I don't find info about installation. My doubt is if we miss mqm directory can we copy from other sever which having same configuration. No QManager created on both servers on MQ packages installed.

If you do not wish to read the KC article, especially the part headed Note, then I am quite happy for you to contact me and discuss rates for doing the installation and configuration for you.
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

hi

Sorry for the trouble.

IBM MQ must be installed correctly on all nodes; you cannot share the product executable files.

if you are referring this, I am not sharing, I just want to copy entire directory. Is it possible. It's working fine for Testing environment, Can i do it on production also.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

nrameshmq wrote:
hi

Sorry for the trouble.

IBM MQ must be installed correctly on all nodes; you cannot share the product executable files.

if you are referring this, I am not sharing, I just want to copy entire directory. Is it possible. It's working fine for Testing environment, Can i do it on production also.

Do you want to configure a High-Availability queue manager? Do you want to configure a Multi-Instance queue manager? Do you want to follow a supported method of creating either of the above? Which bit of "...IBM MQ must be installed correctly on all nodes; you cannot share the product executable files..." do you not understand?
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Sorry exerk

If i asked any dumb questions. Thanks for your help. I am new to MQ. So it is taking time for me to understand.

thank you
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

nrameshmq wrote:
Sorry exerk

No apology necessary...

nrameshmq wrote:
If i asked any dumb questions.

No such thing as a dumb question, just people too dumb to ask questions...

nrameshmq wrote:
Thanks for your help.

You will find that on this site people will try and lead you to the answers rather than give the answers...

nrameshmq wrote:
I am new to MQ. So it is taking time for me to understand.

You are at the beginning of a long and interesting journey, a journey that will take longer if you try and short-cut things. What you are trying to do, in MQ terms, is complex and an advanced subject so seek help and advice from your UNIX admins and more experienced MQ admins. If you are the one and only MQ admin at your site, push back on management for accredited MQ training courses and any other training relevant to your role

Mostly remember that it is best to fully read the KC articles, and only then post questions if you are confused or unclear - you will find that the responses you get are less "bitey"
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nrameshmq wrote:
hi

Sorry for the trouble.

I understand you are not talking about sharing but about copying. However the KC says nothing about being allowed to copy. So no, you have to install the product. What could be possible is to do a full machine copy and change the host-name and ip.
In any case you want the user Ids and group ids to be exactly the same and not just the name but also the sid /gid on both boxes!. Best use LDAP on the boxes to allow users access, and do the switch to LDAP before installing MQ.

And don't forget, on unix, by default authorizations are granted to the primary group of the user. So make sure you grant authorizations at a group level and not a user / principal level. Granting authorization to group staff is over allocating !!
Have fun
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

nrameshmq wrote:
I am not sharing, I just want to copy entire directory. Is it possible. It's working fine for Testing environment, Can i do it on production also.

You can try it, but it probably violates the IBM licensing agreement, and IBM probably won't provide support if you have any issues. Do the right thing, install it on both nodes, to the same location, and have same UID and GID for mqm.
nrameshmq
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We are not using LDAP server in our environment. We are using OS authentications. [/quote]
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

nrameshmq wrote:
We are not using LDAP server in our environment. We are using OS authentications.

Irrespective of what you are using for authentication you need to do as gbaddeley has suggested.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
nrameshmq wrote:
We are not using LDAP server in our environment. We are using OS authentications.

Irrespective of what you are using for authentication you need to do as gbaddeley has suggested.

Yes UID and GID on both servers need to be the same...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ Installation issue on Power HA server
Jump to: