ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker (ACE) SupportLimit of IIB monitoring events emitted per transaction

Limit of IIB monitoring events emitted per transaction View previous topic :: View next topic
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm Post subject: Limit of IIB monitoring events emitted per transaction Reply with quote

Acolyte

“Is there a limit on max number of monitoring event that can be emitted by a message flow for a transaction”?

I think it is 10k as we are seeing one transaction cannot emit more than 10k events for a transaction where we process 20k records in a loop.

Basically we read a file and read all the records from it and update a db. We use monitoring events for our logging & auditing perspective. Since entire file is read under one transaction all the monitoring events are omitted at the end of transaction. Of-course emitted events will be published to a topic and we have a subscription defined on that topic to receive those events.

Anywhere is it documented about the limitation on max number of monitoring event that can be emitted by a message flow for a transaction?
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Does MAXUMSGS has anything to do with this?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

IIB_Intel wrote:
Does MAXUMSGS has anything to do with this?

I would think it does. What happens if say you up this limit to 50000 (20000 plus room to spare)...
timber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you divide the message flow into two flows ( a file splitter and a DB writer ) then the problem goes away. You can use persistent MQ messages to join the two flows.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, I prefer the model where a file is converted to messages (one message per record) in an initial flow. It is more granular for any recovery as well.

If you want to process the messages as a group then you can just the message grouping options, but this then does re-introduce the transaction limit.

If you handle all the records in one transaction then there is always going to be a limit that might get breached, plus your MQ logs might get filled.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
If you handle all the records in one transaction then there is always going to be a limit that might get breached, plus your MQ logs might get filled.

Yes. The limit that is *most* likely to get breached is the EG memory limit.
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

The business processing of the file doesn't have any problem. The records are pretty small in size.

It is the monitoring events that is causing the issue where a flow is not able to emit more than 10k events.

One question I have is a flow always publish message to a topic and each event is an independent event from publish standpoint then how come MAXUMSGS impose this limit to this?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

IIB_Intel wrote:
One question I have is a flow always publish message to a topic and each event is an independent event from publish standpoint then how come MAXUMSGS impose this limit to this?

Because the publications are in the same unit of work as your business process unless you've configured them not to be. Same way one message isn't linked to another message and are put to the queue one at a time, but they're not committed until the UoW closes.

Note that I'm not suggesting you should reconfigure the monitoring events to be outside the UoW; this would mean that in the event of a flow failure, you'd have events for processing that was rolled back.

This is another good reason for using a file splitter to separate records into transactions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I'm confused where Pub/Sub comes in.

I would build your flow like this

FileInput (reads one record at a time, or maybe 10 records, or etc) -> ... -> some output node..

You will use a different DFDL model for the single/batch of records.

Then if your business process *really* needs the whole file, you could use use a Collector node to grab all the records and then emit them as a single chunk.

But you will still *very likely* run into memory problems *at some point* if you continue to process the whole file as a single message.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
I'm confused where Pub/Sub comes in.

Event messages. The broker publishes them.

No pub/sub in the OP's business flow that I can see.
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Yes, pub-sub is only for monitoring events.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
Because the publications are in the same unit of work as your business process unless you've configured them not to be.

Is there any choice in this matter? I vaguely recall IBM enhancing IIB to allow event messages to be put outside of the syncpoint?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Vitor wrote:
Because the publications are in the same unit of work as your business process unless you've configured them not to be.

Is there any choice in this matter? I vaguely recall IBM enhancing IIB to allow event messages to be put outside of the syncpoint?

Oh yes, it's configurable but the point I was making is that if you send them out of syncpoint you could get mismatches between the events (which have been sent) and the business processing (which was rolled back).
IIB_Intel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

IBM confirmed , in case you are using MQ for publish / subscribe feature, then the maximum number of monitored events will be delimited by MAXUMSGS property.

As an alternate design we will be changing the event Unit of work to "None" instead of "Message Flow" on our events.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker (ACE) SupportLimit of IIB monitoring events emitted per transaction
Jump to: