ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to set a field as more XML rather than character text

How to set a field as more XML rather than character text « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
simonalexander2005
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: How to set a field as more XML rather than character text Reply with quote

Acolyte

I am noticing some interesting behaviour, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?

Say I create a message like this:

Code:

-- in compute node #1
SET ENVIRONMENT.LOG.OutMessage = '<test>testing</test>';

-- in compute node #2, which I can't change
-- snip namespace definitions - nm1 and xsi
SET OutputRoot.XMLNSC.nm1:OutMessage.(XMLNSC.NamespaceDecl)xmlns = nm1;
DECLARE outRef REFERENCE TO OutputRoot.XMLNSC.nm1:OutMessage;
SET outRef.(XMLNSC.NamespaceDecl)xmlns:xsi = 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance';
SET outRef.(XMLNSC.Attribute)classification = 'confidential';
-- snip some other attributes
SET outRef.nm1:OutMessageDetails.nm1:LongDescription.nm1:Detail = ENVIRONMENT.LOG.OutMessage;
RETURN TRUE; -- write to queue

so I've got some CHARACTER text that looks to the naked eye like XML; and I've put it into a field (element text) in an XML message; that gives something like this:

Code:
<OutMessage xmlns="...." classification="confidential" ...><OutMessageDetails><LongDescription><Detail><test>testing</test></Detail></LongDescription></OutMessageDetails></OutMessage>

When the message is browsed by MQ Explorer, it sees that the <test>testing</test> is not XML because it escapes that text with &lt; etc - but RFHUtil doesn't; it shows the text with < and > as above.

From this, I am assuming that when I do
Code:
SET outRef.nm1:OutMessageDetails.nm1:LongDescription.nm1:Detail = ENVIRONMENT.LOG.OutMessage;
, it's actually escaping the characters at that point.

So I then tried changing the first compute node as follows:

Code:

-- in compute node #1
SET ENVIRONMENT.LOG.OutMessage.test = 'testing';

i.e. creating the sub-xml element as a field in the environment, rather than using a character string.

This then leads the second compute node to throw an error:

Code:
      (0x01000000:Name     ):ParserException = (
        (0x03000000:NameValue):File     = 'F:\build\slot1\S900_P\src\MTI\MTIforBroker\GenXmlParser4\ImbXMLNSCWriter.cpp' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Line     = 674 (INTEGER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Function = 'ImbXMLNSCWriter::writeElement' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Type     = '' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Name     = '' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Label    = '' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Catalog  = 'BIPmsgs' (CHARACTER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Severity = 3 (INTEGER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Number   = 5014 (INTEGER)
        (0x03000000:NameValue):Text     = 'Element must have a namespace specified if there is a default namespace in scope' (CHARACTER)
        (0x01000000:Name     ):Insert   = (
          (0x03000000:NameValue):Type = 5 (INTEGER)
          (0x03000000:NameValue):Text = 'test' (CHARACTER)

Is there any way to get this to recognise the <test> tags as XML rather than a character, or know to use the default namespace; all in the first compute node?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

simonalexander2005 wrote:
When the message is browsed by MQ Explorer, it sees that the <test>testing</test> is not XML because it escapes that text with &lt; etc - but RFHUtil doesn't; it shows the text with < and > as above.

Both are correct. Those characters are not allowed in the XML content so must be escaped (as shown by Explorer). Helpful XML viewers interpret these escapes as their representative characters (like RFHUtil).

From this, I am assuming that when I do
Code:
, it's actually escaping the characters at that point.

No - they're escaped on serialization.

So I then tried changing the first compute node as follows:

Code:

-- in compute node #1
SET ENVIRONMENT.LOG.OutMessage.test = 'testing';

i.e. creating the sub-xml element as a field in the environment, rather than using a character string.

That doesn't create a sub XML element. Despite the fact the Environment is displayed in the same format as the XMLNSC tree, the XMLNSC domain is not associated with the Environment tree unless you associate it with code.

Is there any way to get this to recognise the <test> tags as XML rather than a character, or know to use the default namespace; all in the first compute node?

Associate the XMLNSC domain with the Environment tree, and use CREATE .... FROM rather than SET.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:

Associate the XMLNSC domain with the Environment tree, and use CREATE .... FROM rather than SET.

And don't forget that there is no default namespace in the broker.
Therefore each element that falls into a default namespace must have that namespace associate to it explicitly.

Hope it helps
simonalexander2005
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Acolyte

fjb_saper wrote:
Vitor wrote:

And don't forget that there is no default namespace in the broker.
Therefore each element that falls into a default namespace must have that namespace associate to it explicitly.

Hope it helps

OK, I've changed my computeNode1 code from:

Code:
SET Environment.LOG.OutMessage = '<test>testing</test>';

to

Code:
CREATE FIRSTCHILD OF Environment.LOG.OutMessage DOMAIN 'XMLNSC' NAMESPACE nm1 NAME 'test';
SET Environment.LOG.OutMessage.nm1:test = 'testing';

And that seems to be enough to get it to work - my output is
Quote:
<OutMessage><LongDescription><Detail><test>testing</test></Detail></LongDescription></OutMessage>

But I haven't followed your advice to use
Code:
CREATE ... FROM
- to use FROM it seems you need to already have the tree somewhere to copy it. What am I missing here?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Code:
CREATE ... FROM
- to use FROM it seems you need to already have the tree somewhere to copy it. What am I missing here?

Code:
CREATE...PARSE

Have fun
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Code:
CREATE ... FROM

If you have something more extensive than one element, you might find:

Code:

CREATE outRef.nm1:OutMessageDetails.nm1:LongDescription.nm1:Detail FROM Environment.LOG.OutMessage;

is more efficient.

But whatever works.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
Code:
CREATE...PARSE

Have fun

Skin the cat in whatever way you feel is best for you.
simonalexander2005
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Acolyte

Vitor wrote:
Code:
CREATE ... FROM

If you have something more extensive than one element, you might find:

Code:

CREATE outRef.nm1:OutMessageDetails.nm1:LongDescription.nm1:Detail FROM Environment.LOG.OutMessage;

is more efficient.

But whatever works.

Aha I see - sorry, I thought you meant in the first compute node where I'm setting the Environment values. Unfortunately I can't edit that second compute node where the outRef is set - so I have to use what I've got (the first one) - the
Code:
won't change.

So given that, is there a way to do this that also allows attributes to copy without turning them into elements?

Also as an aside, wouldn't your sample copy the "OutMessage" field inside the "Detail" field (which isn't what I want)?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

So given that, is there a way to do this that also allows attributes to copy without turning them into elements?

Assuming you've set the XMLNSC domain and specified the attributes as attributes not elements (by using the correct XMLNSC field type) then they should be preserved. I do it with a CREATE but it should work with a SET. Probably. Almost certainly. Unless it doesn't.

Also as an aside, wouldn't your sample copy the "OutMessage" field inside the "Detail" field (which isn't what I want)?

Yes. So sue me.
simonalexander2005
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to set a field as more XML rather than character tex Reply with quote

Acolyte

Vitor wrote:

Assuming you've set the XMLNSC domain and specified the attributes as attributes not elements (by using the correct XMLNSC field type) then they should be preserved. I do it with a CREATE but it should work with a SET. Probably. Almost certainly. Unless it doesn't.

Yes. So sue me.

It doesn't get preserved with a SET, at least not as far as I can see.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound attacking; I was just clarifying a point. No suing required
timber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I haven't read the entire thread, so this might not be relevant, but...

If you use SET, you are responsible for specifying the TYPE attribute for any elements that get created by the SET. If you use FROM, the TYPE attributes will be copied from the source message tree.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to set a field as more XML rather than character text
Jump to: