ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Recursively running MQSC to check XMITQ status

Recursively running MQSC to check XMITQ status « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
aman.kumar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Recursively running MQSC to check XMITQ status Reply with quote

hello experts,

we have a situtation where we have asked to collect the details of all the applications (we have a list of more than 35 applications which all has its own remote queues and SVRCONN channels but all the remote queues have the same XMITQ.) which on given day puts the message in the MQ.

So, I was thinking the best way to do that is check the XMITQ status with "TYPE(handle) all" and see what are the all the Channels which makes a connection and based on channel name I can guess the Application name.

so I need to run this MQSC command recursively for 12 hours at an interval of 20-30 seconds. I don't want to change "Crontab" in our PRD servers as that would require a Change Request, so I am wondering if there is any other way to do that?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Have you checked the status on a qremote ? or the conn(*) where the object is the the queue remote ...
aman.kumar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fjb_saper,

I have tried and the "Dis QS(NAME)", doesn't work on REMOTE Queues. I got the error as "AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object NAME not found."
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recursively running MQSC to check XMITQ status Reply with quote

Grand Master

aman.kumar wrote:
...to collect the details of all the applications (we have a list of more than 35 applications which all has its own remote queues and SVRCONN channels but all the remote queues have the same XMITQ.) which on given day puts the message in the MQ.

Is there any logging at the ESB level, which can be helpful to find out the transactions and active applications list. MQ is just a transport layer for assured delivery of the messages. Monitoring tools/utilities will be helpful, if configured, to find out the details that you're looking for.

aman.kumar wrote:
...the best way to do that is check the XMITQ status with "TYPE(handle) all" and see what are the all the Channels which makes a connection and based on channel name I can guess the Application name.

May not be the 'best' way as you think. If monitoring is in place, monitoring tools and their logs can be checked. If Applications are logging their events (request/response) or transactions, why not ask them to share the statistics related to when they triggered the transactions and how many times.

aman.kumar wrote:
...don't want to change "Crontab" in our PRD servers as that would require a Change Request...

Why not? Production releases must be controlled via Change/Incident Management Process. If you skip the process (if in place), that may lead to the problems and it depends how resilient is your system to handle the issues. Again, why not ask the connecting application(s) for their statistics?

tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

You may want to look at the mqsc-qmgrs script in the MH06 supportpac. It leverages the client mode option for runmqsc at v8 and higher with the following enhancements:

1) It can be run against a group of queue managers
2) The results are formatted into one line per result, to allow easy mining of the result the data via a tool like grep

I find it very helpful for administrative analysis, mass administrative changes, etc.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Needless to say, this would be trivial to do in MQSCX
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PaulClarke wrote:
Needless to say

And yet...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Recursively running MQSC to check XMITQ status
Jump to: