ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as..

IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as.. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as.. Reply with quote

Poobah

IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as..

IBM doesn't make it easy to use an IBM database.

It seems like IIB v10 (as previous version) provides native support to connect to remote databases like Oracle and SQL Server. Yet to connect to an IBM DB2 Database, they make you pay for and deal with installing and maintaining separate product like DB2 Connect.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to connect from a Broker, pardon me, I mean an "Integration Node", running on Linux x86 or z/Linux to a DB2 Database on z/OS, without installing a separate product?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You can't install a regular DB2 client?

JDBC to the rescue?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AFAIC this is a common problem from distributed to DB2 z/OS: you have to use / pass through DB2 Connect...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as.. Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Yet to connect to an IBM DB2 Database, they make you pay for and deal with installing and maintaining separate product like DB2 Connect.

I may be speaking from a selfish point of view here, but we get the distributed DB2 Connect client free with our z/OS DB2 license. So I accept that we're "paying" for it, but we're not "paying" extra for it.

As to the installation & maintenance, it's one more thing on the pile of contact admin we have loaded up on the IIB boxes. Connect Direct (whatever that's called these days), MQ, monitoring agents, deployment agents, FBI agents (we're federally regulated) and I shudder to think what. So DB2 is one more glass of water for the drowning man and it's in the build and maintain framework with the rest of the software.

And don't get me started on SSL certs........

PeterPotkay wrote:
Is there a way to connect from a Broker, pardon me, I mean an "Integration Node", running on Linux x86 or z/Linux to a DB2 Database on z/OS, without installing a separate product?

I concur with my most worthy associate. Of course, you may need to install a JAR file.
rekarm01
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as.. Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqjeff wrote:
You can't install a regular DB2 client?

JDBC to the rescue?

I believe this requires an IBM-supplied jarfile for the DB2 driver. Isn't that also part of DB2 Connect, or is it separately available?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as.. Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:
Yet to connect to an IBM DB2 Database, they make you pay for and deal with installing and maintaining separate product like DB2 Connect.

I may be speaking from a selfish point of view here, but we get the distributed DB2 Connect client free with our z/OS DB2 license. So I accept that we're "paying" for it, but we're not "paying" extra for it.

As to the installation & maintenance, it's one more thing on the pile of contact admin we have loaded up on the IIB boxes. Connect Direct (whatever that's called these days), MQ, monitoring agents, deployment agents, FBI agents (we're federally regulated) and I shudder to think what. So DB2 is one more glass of water for the drowning man and it's in the build and maintain framework with the rest of the software.

And don't get me started on SSL certs........

Preach, brother, preach!

Its just a head scratcher to me this move here.

If IBM allowed connectivity to DB2, local or remote out of the box in IIB, but made you install a separate product to connect to SQL Server or Oracle, oh how people would howl its IBM having an unfair competitive advantage and how they are cramming DB2 down our throats.

But c'mon, if you are already providing connectivity out of the box with no extra products, jars, installs, etc to those other databases, why not add DB2 as well? And please, no excuses saying its not IIB but its those evil DB2 guys that force this design - you are both IBM, supposedly on the same team, get in a room and figure it out so both IIB and DB2 complement each other and DB2 becomes the easiest major database to connect to from IIB, not the one that requires the most hoops to jump through.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Talking about hoops to jump through:
What hoops do you have to jump through to connect to Oracle or SYBASE on the MF. Are these DBs even available on the MF platform??

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB v10 and DB2Connect, otherwise known as..
Jump to: