ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » when is MQ Client needed?

when is MQ Client needed? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Centurion

I know MQ Client is needed for applications to connect to MQ Server. But, I have a few doubts. Appreciate any help.

Do applications hosted on Websphere application server need MQ Client to connect to MQ server?
Do mainframe jobs need MQ Client to connect to MQ server queues?

And is CCDT file mandatory where MQ Client is installed?

Thank you
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

MQMB&WAS wrote:
I know MQ Client is needed for applications to connect to MQ Server. But, I have a few doubts. Appreciate any help.

Do applications hosted on Websphere application server need MQ Client to connect to MQ server?

Thank you

it depends, it depends, no...

So in order to connect to MQ from anywhere you still need some kind of client.
Even if it is a "bindings" connection. Does that client have to be installed?
Well for a "bindings" connection the answer is no as it is installed with the server. But it will only allow you to connect to a queue manager on the same host....

Now back to your WebSphere (WAS) question...
WAS used to come with its own MQ Client..., you can also specify the Resource Adapter (RAR file) which is just another form of a client...

To your mainframe question. The answer is yes in the strictest sense of the question. Do you have to install a client for that? I'd expect that the libraries you will need to add to your JCL come with the MQ Server install on the MF.

You can't use a client to connect to a non MF qmgr when running on the MF.

As to the CCDT file, it is but one of the possibilities for establishing a connection to a queue manager....

Have fun
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
MQMB&WAS wrote:

Thank you

it depends, it depends, no...

So in order to connect to MQ from anywhere you still need some kind of client.
Even if it is a "bindings" connection. Does that client have to be installed?
Well for a "bindings" connection the answer is no as it is installed with the server. But it will only allow you to connect to a queue manager on the same host....

Now back to your WebSphere (WAS) question...
WAS used to come with its own MQ Client..., you can also specify the Resource Adapter (RAR file) which is just another form of a client...

To your mainframe question. The answer is yes in the strictest sense of the question. Do you have to install a client for that? I'd expect that the libraries you will need to add to your JCL come with the MQ Server install on the MF.

You can't use a client to connect to a non MF qmgr when running on the MF.

As to the CCDT file, it is but one of the possibilities for establishing a connection to a queue manager....

Have fun

Thanks for your time, fjb_saper. I looked up online and it looks like a custom code can be used in an application to connect to MQ Server, instead of using CCDT. Am I understanding it correctly?

And when you said RAR file can be used in WAS, do you mean configuring the queue destinations, queue connection factories and activation specs to connect to MQ ?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Poobah

MQMB&WAS wrote:
I looked up online and it looks like a custom code can be used in an application to connect to MQ Server, instead of using CCDT. Am I understanding it correctly?

A CCDT is not required; rather, a CCDT is a choice.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

MQMB&WAS wrote:
it looks like a custom code can be used in an application to connect to MQ Server, instead of using CCDT.

Bad idea to re-invent the wheel. If you are connecting in client mode (i.e. queue manager is on a different server) then either use CCDT or MQ JNDI.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Jedi

RogerLacroix wrote:
MQMB&WAS wrote:
it looks like a custom code can be used in an application to connect to MQ Server, instead of using CCDT.

Bad idea to re-invent the wheel. If you are connecting in client mode (i.e. queue manager is on a different server) then either use CCDT or MQ JNDI.
Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Maybe they meant 'custom code' as being supported properties and methods on MQ objects that allow things like client channel name, host, port to be specified in the code, obviating the need to use CCDT, JNDA, mqclient.ini, MQSERVER variable etc.
Of course these things should be pulled from application environment config info, rather than hard-coded to fixed values.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I wish applications would get totally away from having their own property files for MQ connection information. Over the years, I have run into so many issues when applications do this from missing SSL/TLS fields, non-support of exits, etc...

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: when is MQ Client needed? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

gbaddeley wrote:
...Of course these things should be pulled from application environment config info, rather than hard-coded to fixed values.

I'm with Roger on this - far easier for them to code a file url, to abstract the MQ info at least.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

An MQ client is like a database client. It's needed in the same situations.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » when is MQ Client needed?
Jump to: