ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538?

MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I've installed MQ 7.1.0.7 on Linux, created a queue manager with listener but when I try to connect to the QM from my desktop using MO71 or Explorer - I get a MQRC 2538 MQRC_HOST_NOT_AVAILABLE error.

However using amqsgetc (MQ client sample) when running on the same host works fine.

There are no firewalls in the way (or so I am told). Using the IP address also fails so it's not a DNS issue.

Ping works fine, but telnet to the MQ port fails to connect. It has the symptoms of a classic firewall issue, but it's an internal server with no firewall.

Nothing is showing up in the MQ error logs. It there anything (Linux-wise) I should look for?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

"the same box" as in "the qmgr box" ?

Or "the same box" as in "the machine that all the other clients fail from" ?

A 2358 like this is usually caused by chlauth records.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Remember 7.1 is what started with chlauth...
If you have a generic ip backstop rule in place, make sure that you created holes in it so as to be able to access the channels you need to use...

If you don't know the address make the backstop rule a warn only rule and you should be able to connect and see stuff in the logs.

zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MQRC 2538, not 2358.

Same box as in connection from the same host as the QM runs on - works fine in client mode.

CHLAUTH rules in place, but still fails even if I disable CHLAUTH.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I'm sure that 2358 was a typo on my part.

From the qmgr box, you probably aren't hitting the same network interface as the other clients - likely you are being shortcut-ed to localhost.

I'm sure you did, but I think it's necessary to restart the qmgr if you set CHLAUTH on the qmgr to disabled.

... There's some way to enable chlauth messages in the mq logs - setting the rules to warn or something.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Which flavour of Linux? If Red Hat the firewall is on by default (but you probably know that) and needs an exception if not disabled.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

RHEL.

How to check/disable the firewall?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Is the IPADDR attribute of the MQ Listener set to only accept connections over a particular IP address?
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538? Reply with quote

Jedi

zpat wrote:
I've installed MQ 7.1.0.7 on Linux, created a queue manager with listener but when I try to connect to the QM from my desktop using MO71 or Explorer - I get a MQRC 2538 MQRC_HOST_NOT_AVAILABLE error.

Look in errors/AMQERR01.LOG on your desktop for diagnostics. Did you try amqsputc from your desktop?
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
Is the IPADDR attribute of the MQ Listener set to only accept connections over a particular IP address?

Definitely not the case.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

gbaddeley wrote:
zpat wrote:

Look in errors/AMQERR01.LOG on your desktop for diagnostics. Did you try amqsputc from your desktop?

Yes, showing connection type errors from desktop MQ error log TCP error code 10060. Timeout sort of issue as if there was a firewall.

Ping can reach the MQ host fine.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
RHEL.

How to check/disable the firewall?

According to Google:

systemctl status firewalld.service [to check status]

systemctl disable firewalld.service [to completely disable, including on reboot]

However, I use (example):

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=1414/tcp --permanent

Followed by:

firewall-cmd --reload
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

if it's not a firewall issue, maybe it's just an SSL config issue?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

If the telnet mqhost mqport is successful look into SSL. If it fails look into firewall / routing issues. Make sure the default gateway host is correct for both the sender and receiver hosts.
nageshr99
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

If the telnet mqhost mqport is successful look into SSL. If it fails look into firewall / routing issues. Make sure the default gateway host is correct for both the sender and receiver hosts.

he says telnet does not work as per below lines:

"Ping works fine, but telnet to the MQ port fails to connect. It has the symptoms of a classic firewall issue, but it's an internal server with no firewall."

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ on Linux - possible cause of MQRC 2538?
Jump to: