ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 and MQ Appliance

IIB 10 and MQ Appliance « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
muralihegde
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: IIB 10 and MQ Appliance Reply with quote

Centurion

Has anyone already configured IIB10 that connects an MQ Queue Manager running on MQ Appliance?

The MQ Appliance info center mentions that QMs on the appliance cannot act as transaction managers, but can participate in global transactions as resource managers.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS5K6E_9.0.0/com.ibm.mqa.doc/planning/pl00006_.htm

Does this impact the way the transaction co ordination that works within the message flows today, i.e the implicit commit/roll back when we set the transaction property to the default of Yes.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There shouldn't be any significant difference between using a qmgr on an appliance and using a qmgr on any machine other than the IIB machine.

You won't, of course, be able to run IIB on the appliance hardware itself.
muralihegde
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Is there an impact or challenge if we migrate the Queue Manager that supports the IIB to the MQ appliance, if some of our message flows use aggregation ? We plan to do some tests on this and will update the results here, but has any one tried this and have any suggestions and recommendations please do post the same.. Thanks
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

muralihegde wrote:
Is there an impact or challenge if we migrate the Queue Manager that supports the IIB to the MQ appliance, if some of our message flows use aggregation ?

Yes. It has nothing to do with the MQ Appliance and everything to do with not having a local queue manager available on the same O/S as your IIB 10 installation.

The following link talks about the things that won't be available to use in IIB 10 if you don't have a local queue manager.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bb28660_.htm
zpat
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You can, of course, use both a local and a client connected QM at the same time.

No good reason to lose all that IIB functionality since you get a MQ license with IIB anyway. How hard is it to create a QM? (Not very).
muralihegde
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

True, as of now we have the local QM on the same server as IIB. However we are consolidating all QMs to the MQ Appliance. The goal is to remove all the QMs on individual servers, so all QMs can be maintained on the Appliance. Also to save the cost of any MQ maintenance and license.
However I see the point, may be this QM alone we may not migrate since the license is already part of the IIB.
I wanted explore however if there are any other work around before we go down that path..
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

muralihegde wrote:
I wanted explore however if there are any other work around before we go down that path..

The IIB software requires a locally installed queue manager to support those features that require it (there's a list in the documentation). If you don't plan to use those features, you don't need a queue manager - it's not an installation requirement.

In my personal view, we can look forward to a day when a local queue manager will not be required as those features are adjusted to use methods other the queue manager to support them. So you could easily consolidate onto an MQ Appliance with a remediation plan that IIB will consolidate when the software allows.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I don't think I will look forward to a less transactionally safe method than MQ.

If IBM start using a native file system to hold transactional state, I am moving my money to a bank that keeps using MQ.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 and MQ Appliance
Jump to: