ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Any ideas on how to demo MQ TLS from a Win10 to a zOS QMGR?

Any ideas on how to demo MQ TLS from a Win10 to a zOS QMGR? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tonynix
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Any ideas on how to demo MQ TLS from a Win10 to a zOS QMGR? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Can you give me some ideas or recommendations on how best to demo a message sent from a Win10 client to a z/OS QMGR? I need to use TLS from the client to z/OS. I've used IBM File Manager to put a message into the z/OS QMGR, but haven't found an easy way to demo writing a message in Win10 and sending it to a TLS-configured QMGR. TIA for any ideas you can give me.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What have you tried? What were the results?

It's the usual MQ channel configuration with certs at both ends.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

IH03 SupportPac, CCDT, CMS-type key store for the 'client'. You'll need the signer certs your site uses for the z/OS queue manager, and a personal cert for the CMS-type key store. Use the IBM Key Management GUI on the Windows machine to create the key store and personal cert request. The CCDT can be created on the Windows machine too, if you're using MQ V8.0 or greater.
tonynix
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI. I had some success proving the SSL/TLS setup from MQ Explorer by put a message into a queue on a single queue manager. I was also able to set up a TLS connection between two different queue managers on two separate LPARS by defining a remote queue, putting a message into the remote queue, and getting the message on the second queue manager. I've used the same SSLCIPH value on both the sender and receiver sides of the transport channel. The techie in me wants to "prove it", so I'm also looking for a way to show that SSL is definitely working. Today, I tried removing SSLCIPH from the sender side of the channel and z/OS was giving me CSQX639E and CSQX641E errors. When I changed the sender side to a different SSLCIPH value from the receiver side, I then received CSQX631E errors. IBM MQ doc confirms that MQ expects the same SSLCIPH designation on both sides of the channel. But, I'm wondering if that's good enough.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Depends on what you mean by "prove".

In theory, the deepest proof you can show is that the packets are encrypted passing across the channel.

But if you/your customer trusts TLS to do that, then all you need to show is that you can configure a. channel with TLS, and it runs, and that if you configure it wrong, then it doesn't.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Get the channel running with SSL/TLS then issue a DIS CHS(<CHL NAME>), which will show the certificate values being flowed (both personal and SSLCERTI), and the cipher spec in use. If whomever requires proof deems that to be unacceptable then as mqjeff suggests, wireshark it.
tonynix
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @exerk. I'll ask my IT department to wireshark it too, but the CHSTATUS looks like it confirms the configuration.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Any ideas on how to demo MQ TLS from a Win10 to a zOS QMGR?
Jump to: