ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » sender vs server channel

sender vs server channel « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
cgache
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

PeterPotkay wrote:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.explorer.doc/e_channels.htm

Quote:
The server can also initiate the communication as long as the server knows the connection name of the partner channel.

Thanks Peter, but the conn name field in the server channel already populates the host server name, which is why I'm confused about the retrying state of the server channel
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I your server channel is in RETRYING state but not connecting then you would expect there to be error messages written to AMQERR01.LOG explaining why the connection is not happening. Are you certain that you have correctly set up a listener on your REQUESTER machine ?

Cheers,
Paul.
cgache
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

PaulClarke wrote:
I your server channel is in RETRYING state but not connecting then you would expect there to be error messages written to AMQERR01.LOG explaining why the connection is not happening. Are you certain that you have correctly set up a listener on your REQUESTER machine ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. The error message I am getting on the server channel host is the remote host (where the requester channel is) not available (AMQ9202), but my point is that the remote host which has the requester is fully functional, and only when I manually start the requester channel, the server channel begins running. I'm at a loss as to why the server thinks the remote host is unavailable. The listener is up and running, all the config "looks" okay, but obviously I'm missing something and I can't figure out what..
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well, for some reason it seems your server machine can not establish a TCP connection to your REQUESTER machine. This can be caused by all sorts of things. Your bet is to look really closely at the error message. Are you sure you have everything spelled correctly, that the listener is listening on the right port etc etc. Do you have firewalls in the way? Would you like to append the whole
AMQ9202 message ?

Cheers,
Paul.
cgache
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

PaulClarke wrote:
Well, for some reason it seems your server machine can not establish a TCP connection to your REQUESTER machine. This can be caused by all sorts of things. Your bet is to look really closely at the error message. Are you sure you have everything spelled correctly, that the listener is listening on the right port etc etc. Do you have firewalls in the way? Would you like to append the whole
AMQ9202 message ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Can't be a firewall issue if the requester can establish a connection with the server straight away? Same with the listener?
There's limits to what I can append, see below if it helps in any way:

AMQ9202: Remote host 'XXXXX' not available, retry
later.

EXPLANATION:
The attempt to allocate a conversation using TCP/IP to host 'XXXX' for channel XXXX was not successful. However
the error may be a transitory one and it may be possible to successfully
allocate a TCP/IP conversation later.

In some cases the remote host cannot be determined and so is shown as '????'.
ACTION:
Try the connection again later. If the failure persists, record the error
values and contact your systems administrator. The return code from TCP/IP is
10060 (X'274C'). The reason for the failure may be that this host cannot reach
the destination host. It may also be possible that the listening program at
host 'XXXX' was not running. If this is the
case, perform the relevant operations to start the TCP/IP listening program,
and try again.
----- amqccita.c : 1255 -------------------------------------------------------

AMQ9999: Channel 'XXXX' to host 'XXXX' ended
abnormally.

EXPLANATION:
The channel program running under process ID 72(9284) for channel
'XXXX' ended abnormally. The host name is
'XXXX'; in some cases the host name cannot be
determined and so is shown as '????'.
ACTION:
Look at previous error messages for the channel program in the error logs to
determine the cause of the failure. Note that this message can be excluded
completely or suppressed by tuning the "ExcludeMessage" or "SuppressMessage"
attributes under the "QMErrorLog" stanza in qm.ini. Further information can be
found in the System Administration Guide.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well it is a bit interesting. If you had got the port or IP address wrong I would have expected the following TCP reason code
Code:
WSAECONNREFUSED 10061 - Connection refused.
No connection could be made because the target computer actively refused it. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host that is, one with no server application running.

However you get
Code:
WSAETIMEDOUT 10060 Connection timed out.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or the established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.

It is looking to me more and more like your firewall, or something, is getting in the way. It is not true that just because machine A can create a connection to machine B that therefore machine B can create a connection to machine A. You need to configure the firewall for both directions.

Cheers,
Paul.
cgache
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

PaulClarke wrote:
Well it is a bit interesting. If you had got the port or IP address wrong I would have expected the following TCP reason code
Code:
No connection could be made because the target computer actively refused it. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host that is, one with no server application running.

However you get
Code:
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or the established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.

It is looking to me more and more like your firewall, or something, is getting in the way. It is not true that just because machine A can create a connection to machine B that therefore machine B can create a connection to machine A. You need to configure the firewall for both directions.

Cheers,
Paul.

Interesting. Will have to look into that to confirm. Thanks a lot for your help Paul.
cgache
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

cgache wrote:
PaulClarke wrote:
Code:

However you get
Code:

Cheers,
Paul.

Interesting. Will have to look into that to confirm. Thanks a lot for your help Paul.

Seems you are correct Paul! That's the last time I make firewall assumptions Thanks again for all your help!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » sender vs server channel
Jump to: