ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQRC_NOT_AUTHORIZED when writing to JMSReplyTo dest

MQRC_NOT_AUTHORIZED when writing to JMSReplyTo dest « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
NomadAU
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: MQRC_NOT_AUTHORIZED when writing to JMSReplyTo dest Reply with quote

Novice

I am having trouble figuring out what security configuration is required in order for a JMS application to be able to send a response message to the destination passed in the JMSReplyTo field of the request message.
In this particular case, the reply destination is on a remote queue manager, so the content of the JMSReplyTo destination is something like queue://<remote QM name>/<queue name>.

What I don't want to do is create explicit setmqaut profiles for all possible reply queue names. Instead I want to authorise the JMS application userid so that it can write to ANY queue on the remote QM, based on the premise that the requesting application may choose a different reply to queue each time it makes a call, indeed it may even use temporary queues.
So clearly, providing an explicit authorisation for each queue is not practical, instead the component I wish to secure, and authorise the JMS application userid to connect to, is the remote QM itself.

I originally thought this would be a simple task to achieve, but I've been spinning my wheels for a few hours without success. Can anyone give me some pointers?

The environment is RHEL and MQ 8.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Unfortunately you have to grant access to the transmission queue that leads to the remote server. This could be the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE if MQ clustering is involved.

Please consider my RFE to make this better, and add your vote if you agree. The details of the RFE will help you understand what is going on in your use case too.

Option to force MQ authority checking against the queue name before its placed in the transmission queue
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=61701
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You should be able to create a qmgr alias, and grant authorities to that?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You don't state which version of MQ you are using but one thing to consider (version appropriate) is the ClusterQueueAccessControl setting in the qm.ini file.
NomadAU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for all the responses.

I've got it working now - a solution (maybe the only solution?) was to make the following changes:

In the QM hosting the server application...

- create a local queue manager alias to 'map' the ReplyToQMgr name (QMA) to QMA.GWY.
- grant PUT authority for the application userid to the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE

In the (gateway) QM connected to the external client QM (which defines the reply queue)...

- create a clustered queue manager alias 'QMA.GWY' that maps to the QMA xmit queue name (QMA)

The responses then were able to be sent from the application, via the cluster to the gateway QM where normal Sdr/Reciever channels passed the message across to the target QM.

On reflection, this does seem like a poor solution to what I would expect is a common requirement, namely, implementing a Request/Response pattern on a QM that belongs to a cluster. Up until these changes, the MQ security in the solution was very tight. This has now been considerably weakened by opening up PUT auth on the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE object.

I guess that's what Peter's RFE is about, although the link didn't work for me.
[/list]
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

For the link to work, you need to be logged in to developerworks.com
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

NomadAU wrote:
Up until these changes, the MQ security in the solution was very tight. This has now been considerably weakened by opening up PUT auth on the SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE object.

I guess that's what Peter's RFE is about, although the link didn't work for me.

Yup.
Please vote for my RFE. Without it, properly securing a MQ cluster in the real world with multiple platforms, dozens of app and hundreds of IDs is very, very difficult. Its not realistic to run all your channels with PUTAUT=Context.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You can read about my RFE here: http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68842
NomadAU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Vote submitted Peter.
Thanks for the help.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQRC_NOT_AUTHORIZED when writing to JMSReplyTo dest
Jump to: