ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » WebSphere MQ for Linux - Automatic Startup (SupportPac MSL1)

WebSphere MQ for Linux - Automatic Startup (SupportPac MSL1) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Whatever's running the services on the box for HA purposes
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Assuming there is no HA software then?

Vanilla RHEL Linux for example.

It should be part of the MQ product really.

Anyone care to share their approach or init.d setup?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
It should be part of the MQ product really.

Forced to disagree there. All products running under Unix (we use RHEL here) rely on the OS to start them. MQ should not be at variance with the industry or technology standard.

zpat wrote:
Anyone care to share their approach or init.d setup?

We use RHCS. Someone with some vanilla will be along in a moment.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

OK. Some sort of MQ script to set up the operating system autostart.

Linux does not come with autostart configured for every possible product that might be installed.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
OK. Some sort of MQ script to set up the operating system autostart.

How many other products (IBM or otherwise) come with that?

zpat wrote:
Linux does not come with autostart configured for every possible product that might be installed.

I didn't know it came with autostart configured for any product
tczielke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

zpat wrote:
What is the approved method of auto-starting QMs these days?

It's pretty basic and essential functionality.

I've used MSL1 with MQ 7.5.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an approved method. We still use MSL1 and have some Linux servers using MSL1 at MQ 8.0 (most servers are at MQ 7.5). However, we only have one installation and we use the default of /opt/mqm, so we can still use MSL1 (which does not support multiple installations).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:
zpat wrote:
What is the approved method of auto-starting QMs these days?

It's pretty basic and essential functionality.

I've used MSL1 with MQ 7.5.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an approved method. We still use MSL1 and have some Linux servers using MSL1 at MQ 8.0 (most servers are at MQ 7.5). However, we only have one installation and we use the default of /opt/mqm, so we can still use MSL1 (which does not support multiple installations).

When using multiple installations you will either have to run each qmgr under a different user or source the environment before starting each qmgr...
Have fun
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor thinks IBM should provide no help whatsoever in doing this - but he is too far away for me to "educate" him on that one

Sourcing the environment is not really an issue since the setmqenv command can refer to the QM name.

A script to list the QMs, and start each of them with the appropriate setmqenv would probably do the job, I am sure the boffins in Hursley can come up with that.

Yes, we could write our own but one doesn't expect to have to fashion one's own steering wheel for a new car before driving it...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Vitor thinks IBM should provide no help whatsoever in doing this - but he is too far away for me to "educate" him on that one

I'm simply pointing out that a) Linux doesn't offer any support for auto starting any product so MQ has not been omitted & b) IBM is in line with all other vendors I'm aware of in the level of support they offer in configuring init.d or other auto start mechanisms.

zpat wrote:
Yes, we could write our own but one doesn't expect to have to fashion one's own steering wheel for a new car before driving it...

One does if one has individual requirements for where one needs to hold the wheel, how many little switches you can handle on the column and what you need them to control. As I've previously said, this site uses RHCS and we've had to develop the necessary HA scripts and other artifacts; by "we" I mean ourselves and the Linux admins, who've occasionally had conflicting requirements.

On previous sites, this:

zpat wrote:
A script to list the QMs, and start each of them with the appropriate setmqenv would probably do the job

would have been unsuitably simplistic. If that's all you need, then I congratulate you on the elegant simplicity of your estate & go in peace with it. I don't recall a scenario where that would have been all I needed (except on the Mickey Mouse dev box in the corner of one site in Scotland).
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

So anyone willing to share, rather than getting nowhere?

The existence of the MSL1 support pac - demonstrates the need and the usefulness of a ready to use solution.

Many support pacs later become product features. It's not asking too much although opening a RFE is the route.

Last edited by zpat on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
So anyone willing to share, rather than getting nowhere?

If I had one, I'd give it to you.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Somewhere out there is an extract of the start up/shut down script from MSL1, and I use it to auto-start the queue managers on my test VMs.

Works no problem at all under init.d on Ubuntu but RHEL 7 uses systemctl and service unit files and I've yet to find the time to hack around and use one unit file to start all queue managers rather than an individual unit file per queue manager.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The supportPac program is generally retired.

https://github.com/ibm-messaging is generally where to look for spacs or contribute

but for init_d, you just create a script you'd use to start the qmgr in general (setmqenv... strmqm... whatever else) and then put it in /etc/init.d. For debian/ubuntu (and maybe others) this should include the header as documented in /etc/init.d/README

then run update-rc.d script to create the correct symlink in /etc/rcN.d where N is the set of runlevels specified in the init.d script.

Not really needing a supportPcac... unless you wanted to wrap all of that into a command line that takes a qmgr name or something...
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Starting all QMs on a host is probably what I would want - to avoid script maintenance.

Supports pacs are great - keep them going. We don't even have access to view git hub let alone download from it (still less upload to it).

It's undesirable for IBM to reduce MQ to the sort of general open source type of support because questions will then get asked like - why don't we save money and use a free messaging product?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
Starting all QMs on a host is probably what I would want - to avoid script maintenance.

Supports pacs are great - keep them going. We don't even have access to view git hub let alone download from it (still less upload to it).

It's undesirable for IBM to reduce MQ to the sort of general open source type of support because questions will then get asked like - why don't we save money and use a free messaging product?

If you want to start all qmgrs, then dspmq should do it - and parse it. In your /etc/init.d script.

MQ itself won't be moving to github. Just various tools and etc, like spacs.

The git repository should be public. You will need a github userid to issue a pull request after you've modified code.

If your company firewall doesn't give you access to github, that's a separate issue. But again, the repositories should be publicly available and you should be able to create pull requests to get code added.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » WebSphere MQ for Linux - Automatic Startup (SupportPac MSL1)
Jump to: