ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Possible to "disable" MQ client?

Possible to "disable" MQ client? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Razzia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Possible to "disable" MQ client? Reply with quote

Hi

When we need to upgrade the MQ client on Windows, it's done using SCCM to several hundred servers/workstations at a time. Usually a few percent fails because the MQ Client is in use, and theres is a enqueue on some file in the MQ Client.

Is there a way to disable the MQ Client, so the applications can't use it while the upgrade is running?

Best regards
Rasmus
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Same way you'd disable any other application to release a file lock during an SCCM update.

There's nothing "magic" about the MQ client. Consider this to be the same as updating any other common part of Windows (Redistributable C++, the .NET framework, most of the DLLs in the System & System32 directories, etc., etc.) and apply the same technique.
Razzia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Vitor
Could you expand a bit on how its done in SCCM?

I work in fairly big company, and I'm responsible for the MQ client but have nothing to do with SCCM. But when the installation fails, then its my problem

If you could point me in the right direction, then I can discuss it with the SCCM team.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Razzia wrote:
@Vitor
Could you expand a bit on how its done in SCCM?

Erm....

Razzia wrote:
If you could point me in the right direction, then I can discuss it with the SCCM team.

Given that the SCCM team will, as I indicated above, have had to do this for any number of applications (and Windows itself) then why are you asking for suggestions? From me not them?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

But in the spirit of being helpful, I suggest this series of steps (which can be built into the SCCM update process so it's all automated):

- initiate a "hard" administrative restart of Windows. This overrides the dialogs about other users being logged on, running applications preventing shutdown, basically drops Windows like it's been shot and brings up again in safe mode
- run the MQ Client upgrade
- initiate a normal restart

This will guarantee all MQ Clients will be updated, but may get a few complaints from server owners about missed SLAs.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Not sure what it means to have "some enqueues on files" on the client side.

But MQ clients are run inside application, they aren't separate processes.

So kill the applications.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Not sure what it means to have "some enqueues on files" on the client side.

Windoze doesn't close file handles on DLLs and other files it's read into memory, even though it's read the files into memory & doesn't need the copy on the spinning disk any more.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Is there not an 'in use' selection on Windows such that the upgrade will be successful but the new binaries are not picked up until after reboot?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Is there not an 'in use' selection on Windows such that the upgrade will be successful but the new binaries are not picked up until after reboot?

Yes, and there's one in SCCM as well. Also the ability for SCCM to schedule a reboot. Also the ability to shut down application holding file locks. Which gets used is down to the preference of the SCCM administrators, because both have pros and cons.

Hence my asking the OP why he's not speaking to the SCCM team on site. Many such teams don't like to use the individual abilities built into given products, preferring instead to standardize on SCCM facilities. Others take a more "whatever, dude - it's like your software and it's on you" viewpoint.

I think my suggestion is:

a) easiest
b) more reliable
c) more fun (for me at least - the OP may find it less so....)
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

>Is there not an 'in use' selection on Windows such that the upgrade will be successful but the new binaries are not picked up until after reboot?

Yes. Use it, and reboot after installation, whether its needed or not.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

gbaddeley wrote:
>Is there not an 'in use' selection on Windows such that the upgrade will be successful but the new binaries are not picked up until after reboot?

Yes. Use it, and reboot after installation, whether its needed or not.

And so one of the most frustrating 'features' of Windows carries on being used.
I have come upon that feature being used when there was no need for it at all but the lazyness of the developer meant that hundreds of systems needed a reboot when they didn't. At the time (with XP) a reboot for a laptop in a corporate doman could take 30 mins.
30 mins X 200 = 100 man/woman hours of work lost and in this case for no good reason.
30 mins on a good day but when 200 devices all decide to reboot on a Monday morning, forget doing any work until after lunch. Every device was condifured to do a full AV scan at every reboot. Go figure. Corporate Security Roolz and all that.

I hated packaging stuff up in upgrades/installer for Windows and for very good reason. 't Glad I don't have to do that any more.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Possible to "disable" MQ client?
Jump to: