ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Reading application Transactional DB from IIB/Message Broker

Reading application Transactional DB from IIB/Message Broker « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reading application Transactional DB from IIB/Message Broker Reply with quote

Disciple

Hello folks,

we have been tasked to read the application Transactional DB and create batch files from the data and transfer it to other applications using IIB.

I am not in favor of reading the application DB, and I have asked the application team to handle it at their end to generate Batch files.

Am I right to believe that IIB should not play with other application databases. any thoughts?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Batch files is the worst part of this task.

Reading an application DB is a somewhat normal part of transformation logic.

Batch files are just a bad idea when you have lots of better transports - MQ, MFT, HTTP, REST, etc... that can take single records and process them individually, rather than having to process huge chunks of data that might not be complete...
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reading application Transactional DB from IIB/Message Br Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

krypton wrote:
Am I right to believe that IIB should not play with other application databases. any thoughts?

IIB is a perfectly reasonable component to use as part of an "application", in the same way an application could contain both Java under WAS on Linux and something like Angular on Windows to provide a front end. Indeed, it's a plausible design decision to use IIB to link such components.

I agree with my most worthy associate about batch files, and would also wonder if IIB is the best choice of ETL tool if all you want is a straightforward dump of db data into batch files.
krypton
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Quote:
Reading an application DB is a somewhat normal part of transformation logic.

Thank you for reply, I forgot to mention that the Data we have to read from DB is of size around 500 MB. We are worrried about the overhead /slow processing time for such huge amount of data.
Is there a better way to handle this?

we have to take this huge dump of data and create XML files and need to make sure none of the XML file size reaches more than 100 MB.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Can you read the database row by row, instead of as a block?
krypton
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

"Can you read the database row by row, instead of as a block?"

I can try that, now how do we control the XML file size using IIB? (which in our case is limited to 100 MB), we have to create XML files from the database but also have to ensure that each file size should not be more than 100 MB.

Does Writing XML data in the file would be more time consuming than writing normal text data?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

krypton wrote:
"Can you read the database row by row, instead of as a block?"

I can try that, now how do we control the XML file size using IIB? (which in our case is limited to 100 MB), we have to create XML files from the database but also have to ensure that each file size should not be more than 100 MB.

Does Writing XML data in the file would be more time consuming than writing normal text data?

If you can use normal text, then why do you need XML?

Processing individual records in IIB instead of big chunks of data is much more efficient, and uses less memory.

For the rest of your questions, think of it as a normal programming problem - how do you create a batch who's size is not larger than A.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Reading application Transactional DB from IIB/Message Broker
Jump to: