ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » Stale JMS connections

Stale JMS connections « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vlucian
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Stale JMS connections Reply with quote

Novice

Hi.
I have the following situation:
- because of some vmware issues my machine remained for short period of time (seconds, tens of seconds) without enough CPU
- in SystemOut I have "HMGR0152W: CPU Starvation detected" "Did not receive adequate CPU time slice."
- my application which is periodically "browsing" some JMS queues waiting for new messages starts throwing errors like: " J2CA0027E: An exception occurred while invoking commit on an XA Resource Adapter from DataSource " "WTRN0078E: An attempt by the transaction manager to call start on a transactional resource has resulted in an error. The error code was XAER_RMERR." " J2CA0030E: Method enlist caught javax.transaction.SystemException: XAResource start association error:XAER_RMERR"
- at one point the JMS component is going into failure
- restarting only that component (from application's GUI) doesn't solve the issue as on JMS side I have "stale connections" and messages are
- the only solution is to restart the entire JVM (I didn't try restarting only the application)

I think the application should be resilient in these conditions and handle the situation in a nice way but the developer says it's because of that CPU issue and the way Websphere is reacting to it. On the other hand I don't have any way of controlling reconnections (number of, interval between etc) which was in my mind a must-be.

Am I missing something? What arguments should I also present to developer?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Yes you are missing something. Check out the purge policy for your JMS Connection pool. You might want to have a purge policy that purges the entire pool if a connection is no longer valid.
Have fun
vlucian
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the answer!
It's now on "FailingConnectionOnly" - I guess I need to switch it to EntirePool.
How about the reconnecting policy inside the application itself?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Application Server » Stale JMS connections
Jump to: