ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » CICS Input to Message Broker

CICS Input to Message Broker « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kevin_212
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: CICS Input to Message Broker Reply with quote

Hi
Is there any way MessageBroker could accept a CICS LU6.2 transaction from Mainframes ?
CICSRequest node initiates a transaction from Message Broker to Mainframes, but how would Message Broker could accept a CICS LU6.2 transaction from Mainframes.
Is there any support pack available to support this feature in Message Broker.
We are planning to replace current Mainframes system which is integrated to external Mainframe applications, that uses CICS LU6.2

Thank you
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I would be tempted to invoke a REXX program using the APPC or CPIC interface.

Get CICS to invoke this as a LU6.2 application and then have the REXX connect to the message broker using MQ.

In other words you want a LU6.2 to MQ bridge. Someone has probably done this before.

Sample APPC and CPIC programs in REXX are provided with z/OS.

MQ/REXX is the support pac MA95 now open sourced in GITHUB.

You might as well run the REXX on the same z/OS system as your CICS region (assuming it has MQ installed).

If it's very high volume, you might to code the transaction in C rather than REXX (although that's ideal for prototyping).

Another option might be to invoke a CICS transaction that interfaces to MQ, however it's not a good idea to wait for a reply during a CICS transaction.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Where are you running broker? If that's not on the mainframe, you'll need something to do the protocol bridge from LU6.2 to (probably) TCP/IP. After that, it's a simple task to consume the transaction with an HTTPInput node.

If you can use MQ (and I know some sites are funny about extra traffic on the distributed <-> z/OS MQ link) then that's your protocol bridge right there and I echo the comments of my worthy associate.
kevin_212
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply

we have Mainframes (CICS) external partners connecting to our Mainframes(CICS) application using LU6.2
Our interest is to replace our Mainframes in a way that external partners (more than 5 partners) have to make no changes or minimum changes.

Is there any product that could accept LU6.2 CICS connection from external partners CICS LU6.2 and converts LU6.2 to MQ or HTTP

As Message Broker supports an initiation of CICS transaction to Mainframes, I would assume there would be a solution for Message Broker accepting a CICS transaction !! But I could not find any such solution until now
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It seems like a better idea to provide an HTTP or MQ interface to clients, and then use the data in that to talk over LU6.2.

?

I hear that REST is all the rage these days.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

kevin_212 wrote:
Is there any product that could accept LU6.2 CICS connection from external partners CICS LU6.2 and converts LU6.2 to MQ or HTTP

There might be something in the network arena. LU 6.2 is very mainframe specific.

kevin_212 wrote:
As Message Broker supports an initiation of CICS transaction to Mainframes, I would assume there would be a solution for Message Broker accepting a CICS transaction !! But I could not find any such solution until now

The CICSRequest node doesn't support LU 6.2 and is the distributed end of the CICS Transaction Gateway, which also doesn't support LU 6.2. There's no specific node for the Message Broker accepting a CICS transaction because it's the HTTPInput node (if you're using the CTG).
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

may I also add that Mainframe Network Admins are extreemly picky about anyone messing with their LU6.2 setup.

If you do suggest something that involved changes to LU6.2 then please be ready to repel boarders and fend off broadside volleys otherwise you may be regarded as nothing more than a pirate who needs to be strung up from the yard arm.

That last bit was indeed written in a light hearted manner because it does remind me of the struggle we had to get even simple changes made to LU6.2 at one customer. It took in total 10 months to get implemented. I still shudder when remembering the project.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
kevin_212
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » CICS Input to Message Broker
Jump to: