ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Install of toleration fixes and APARS for MQ V 7.01 on z/OS

Install of toleration fixes and APARS for MQ V 7.01 on z/OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
InTheLoop
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Install of toleration fixes and APARS for MQ V 7.01 on z/OS Reply with quote

I am planning to install about 15 tolerations fixes and apars on WMQ V 7.01 without using SMP/E , first attempt, anyone has done that , anyone has an idea how to proceed ?

Thanks.
zpat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

What's the reason for not using SMP/E?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If not SMP/E, how will you apply the SYSMODS?
InTheLoop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have access to use that functionality and I have to use R3S instead .
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

InTheLoop wrote:
I do not have access to use that functionality and I have to use R3S instead .

SMP/E is the IBM-supplied tooling for applying SYSMODS to z/OS components.

If you are not authorized to use SMP/E, you must find a systems programmer who is.

What is R3S? I googled 'z/OS+r3s' and found no hits.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Mainframe forum.
InTheLoop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback ,
R3S is an IBM provided tool that use GDS to delivers software to z/OS target systems ( it is probably not widely used anymore but still works and is still in use )
Once the downloaded software is available on the target systems it can be applied using datasets names relevant to every PTF/LPAR and Some steps that I am trying to figure out .

1- Is SMP/E functionality available with z/Os 1.13 ? , it is not even available in my menu .

2- Secondly is it the responsibility of the z/OS MQ administrator or the z/OS System Programmer to install tolerations fixes for WMQ ?

3- I am expected to install these PTF using a list of data sets , and I am trying to figure out how as most documents I found will advise the SMP/E way.

4 - last I am not sure if I am 100% right but if the SMP/E functionality is available to system programmers I should also be given access to that functionality too if I am expected to use Sysmod or install PTF's .
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

InTheLoop wrote:
Thanks for the feedback ,
R3S is an IBM provided tool that use GDS to delivers software to z/OS target systems ( it is probably not widely used anymore but still works and is still in use )

I've been working with mainframes for decades. I've never heard of it. I find no references to it at ibm.com or google. Are you making this up?
InTheLoop wrote:
Once the downloaded software is available on the target systems it can be applied using datasets names relevant to every PTF/LPAR and Some steps that I am trying to figure out .

Clearly, you are not a mainframe or z/OS person. Or, you're kidding, right?

InTheLoop wrote:
1- Is SMP/E functionality available with z/Os 1.13 ? , it is not even available in my menu .

I repeat: SMP/E is the primary tool for applying PTFs and APARS (not LPARs). It's been with z/OS and its predecessors for decades. It need not be on the ISPF menu you are looking at, but it's in there somewhere.

InTheLoop wrote:
2- Secondly is it the responsibility of the z/OS MQ administrator or the z/OS System Programmer to install tolerations fixes for WMQ ?

The usual title for the person doing installations and maintenance is Systems Programmer.

InTheLoop wrote:
3- I am expected to install these PTF using a list of data sets , and I am trying to figure out how as most documents I found will advise the SMP/E way.

SYSMODS are packaged and distributed with sufficient embedded instructions such that SMP/E can install them in the appropriate datasets (libraries). If you don't know how to use SMP/E, get training. IBM offers course ES26 SMP/E for z/OS Workshop.

InTheLoop wrote:
4 - last I am not sure if I am 100% right but if the SMP/E functionality is available to system programmers I should also be given access to that functionality too if I am expected to use Sysmod or install PTF's .

I repeat: IBM offers course ES26 SMP/E for z/OS Workshop. https://www-03.ibm.com/services/learning/ites.wss/zz-en?pageType=course_description&cc=&courseCode=ES26G
InTheLoop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3S Stands for Reference System Support Service (R3S).
R3S ships software from where it is installed/maintained (Staging Repository), to customer systems.

Target system programmers request R3S deliveries to target systems :
and the following steps are executed :

Define new libraries ,
Create a job to copy earlier downloaded MQ lib's to .newupd lib's
Create a job renaming involved current MQ software libraries to .OLD.
Create a job for renaming .newupd libraries to current.
Create a job for possible fallback to undo update.

It is a long process while Using SMP/E works better

Just 2 weeks ago i downloaded some distribution units for some LPARS using R3S so i am not making this up:

For the rest thanks for your feedback as i will investigate why from my ISPF Menu i cannot get to the SMP/E
or if i am just not given access based on my profile, in that case i will request access and i will also go through the course link that you did sent.

Thanks for your feedback :
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Does renaming software lib files on z/OS really work? It's kind of a poor idea on any platform, and I can't imagine it's any better of an idea on zOS.

In general, commercial software installation (as opposed to in house applications) should be installed using either the system level installers (ISPF on zOS ?, rpm on linux, etc) ) or installed using the installer tool that comes with the product...

If you don't have access to ISPF, then rather than getting access, you should make a request of the team that does have access (the zOS admin or System Programmer team) to perform the install.

Software rollback is performed either using the methods in the software installer, the OS, some kind of coexistence method, or a backup/restore...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

InTheLoop wrote:

I'm at a loss to explain why I can't find references to R3S via google or on IBM's public website. Please post a URL that you use to order/receive the maintenance you are trying to install.

Also, please explain acronyms (like GDS) the first time you reference them in your posts. When I first read your OP, I though you were pranking us, and using RAG software - RAG is Random Acronym Generator.

What exactly is your mainframe z/OS experience-level? Maintaining z/OS software is totally different from Windows/UNIX, and far more complicated.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
Does renaming software lib files on z/OS really work? It's kind of a poor idea on any platform, and I can't imagine it's any better of an idea on zOS.

Best-practice on z/OS is to perform updates on copies of product libraries (data sets). Thus, copying product libraries (data sets), and adding a suffix like .OLD is a common practice - before updating the original product libraries.

I'm still wondering if the OP is a spoof...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Best-practice on z/OS is to perform updates on copies of product libraries (data sets). Thus, copying product libraries (data sets), and adding a suffix like .OLD is a common practice - before updating the original product libraries.

This is why I don't do zOS... Eeek!
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359, I saw R3S in use on a z/OS system about 6 years ago at a previously employer. I too couldn't find anything about it using Google. Strange.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Install of toleration fixes and APARS for MQ V 7.01 on z/OS
Jump to: