ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » microservices - death to ESB?

microservices - death to ESB? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: microservices - death to ESB? Reply with quote

Yatiri

I came across a lot of these articles online.

https://cloudintegration.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/why-the-esb-is-the-wrong-approach-to-cloud-integration/

https://www.integrationmatters.com/integration/blog/detail/the-esb-is-dead-long-live-the-esb.html

Also sat through Mulesoft workshop for a day and heard a lot of talk about microservices.

Is ESB like the way we have been using where we connect different application on premise where it is pipe smart and end point dumb not relevant anymore?

I hear microservices is end point smart and pipe dumb if that makes sense.

is ESB/message broker with integration patterns still relevant in the microservices/ cloud arena?[/url]
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Depends.

If you ask 5 professionals on the definition of an ESB, you'll typically get 6 answers

In my little corner of the world (which may or may not be representative of the larger picture), we're starting to use microservices for cloud and other purposes. Many (but not all) of these are hosted on our IIB infrastructure because we a) want some orchestration b) want to leverage some of the capabilities we've built into IIB that IBM didn't (like error handling and KPI measurement) c) need to perform some data translation. Does that mean we still have an ESB? Does that mean we have a microservices hosting platform?

Buggered if I know.

I do know it's a quick, easy way to get microservices out into the world using a lot of the wheels we've fitted to the wagon: delivering development platforms to people's laptops, setting up production strength runtime environments, source code control, change control, quality control (that's needed some tweaking), testing, etc, etc.

I build systems with the ultimate aim of me doing as little work as possible and not getting called at 3am because something's broken. I don't worry too much about what it's called. For me, ESB = microservice hosting platform = magic unicorn farm = Fully Automated Near Neutral Yielding Product And Data.

Last edited by Vitor on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

microservices are nothing new.

An ESB can consist of simple microservices. A three layer architecture would have lots of simple endpoint services as layer 3.
In the past the WebServices evangelists would say that SOAP is the thing to bind it all together.

A lot of these latest things are all well and good but in practice????? IMHO, and to be brutal, they suck bigtime especially when it comes to performance.

They do have a place but but but for anyone to say that Microservice are the answer to life, the universe and everything is patently false.

Just my worthless 2p of thoughts on the subject.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I see a lot of discussion around microservices and how it fit's in the ESB.

I like to think of microservices like a "thin" service you can deploy in a container (whateve the brand of the container). Why "thin" ? because, as far as i understand from microservices evangelists, a microservice should be very domain delimited and independent from each other. But ...hey ... isn't it what we are doing so far ? Maybe we can "strech" the concept and make the microservice really independent .. maybe ... one database instance for each microservice instance ? but this will put some question on resources and management (also in IT Culture) .. and talking about culture, i see some "push" through Devops and microservices. Can we really deliver microservices without plataform/VM/container provision or deployment automation ? how is this impacting IT culture and budgets ..

some ideias for discussion ..

Rui Madaleno

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » microservices - death to ESB?
Jump to: