ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.2 Available

MO71 Version 9.0.2 Available « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: MO71 Version 9.0.2 Available Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi MQers,

MQGem Software is pleased to announce that MO71 Version 9.0.2 is now available for download here http://www.mqgem.com/mo71_download.html

Version 9.0.2 is a micro release which is released essentially to implement a single requirement. The requirement is for MO71 to make it clear which server is currently hosting a Queue Manager when in a multi-instance environment.

As before, any current licensed users of MO71 can run the new version on their existing licence. If you do not have a licence and would like to try out MO71 please send a note to support@mqgem.com and a 1-month trial licence will be sent to you.

As always I welcome any comments or suggestions,

Cheers,
Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

I have one. It would be nice that MO71 automatically suggests a file name based upon the content of the exported file, ie description of the action performed with the tool in order to produce the file, as another option, besides current, ie offering the last previously entered file name, that may be inadequate for the current export activity. The point is to avoid either manual entering of sufficiently descriptive names from the scratch, or looking for a previous similar export file name by using the built-in file explorer, that usually requires additional adjustment, if such a file already exists. Rare cases when this might be inadequate would be when the content cannot be summarized efficiently. In most cases it already is sufficiently well summarized in a content header, so it usually requires copying from there and pasting to a file name with probably a slight modification.
For example, if exported data contains MSGAGE DataPoints for one queue on one qmgr, a header row looks like this:

Time,QM(qmname) Q(qname) Oldest Message Age

and the file name could be:

qname@qmname_MSGAGE_startDateTime_endDateTime.csv

So, the question appears, would it be useful if there are multiple qmgrs, multiple queues, multiple attributes and multiple time intervals of collecting DataPoints, consolidated in one table. It would, if the option allowed saving to multiple files with automatically generated names (that don't necessarily need to be confirmed each separately, only the target directory should be), and where each file is based on a single DataPoint set. Of course, if it's more important that data is consolidated in one file, than how the file is named, still possible summary can be suggested. For example, if for the same queue@qmgr during the same interval multiple attributes are monitored and exported, it's not hard to see what name would be useful to suggest.

This is just an example, the same thing applies to export of object definitions, unloading a queue to a file, everything. I mean, the tool already knows what I told it to do, why do I have to describe it again just because I want a descriptive name for the file? Of course, this should be an option, if someone likes more the current behaviour.

Cheers
jcv
jcv
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

I tried to apply that logic to Location->Export->Export File, and copy there a string from Preferences->Export->Text Title, just to see what happens. After seeing that it doesn't get interpreted properly, I looked into user guide, and noticed (unexpected) differences between File Name Inserts and Text Inserts (like %q vs %m, and such things). So I wrote there C:\MO71_backup_definitions\%q_%d%m%y in each location, and of course then it was parsed OK. Learning that info, I realized that if I knew it beforehand, I could have expressed my requirement more concisely: provide %c analogue (sort of), its explanation would be "describes exported content, and allows inserting that info into file name", plus, provide File Name Insert for default export directory preference setting (unexisting yet, I think, I'm not sure), then I would concatenate these two, and it would always dynamically make adequate file name that I wouldn't need change much (ie previously entered would probably be good for the next export, unless I wanted unusual target directory or export file name).
I said "sort of" there, because %c has meaning of Text Insert for "Current Command Name", like "Queue Manager", "Queue List", "Channel List", "Channel Status List", etc..., but applied filter may be also interesting to be incorporated.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

Thank-you for your suggestions. However, as we have mentioned a number of time s before this isn't really the correct place to be raising new requirements unless you are soliciting opinions from other people on this forum. Instead please send an email to support@mqgem.com where we can discuss your suggestion.

Regards,

Paul
jcv
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi,

thank you for your attention, I'll try to keep that in mind.
For a completness sake, I have to correct my self with respect to what I said is current behaviour, things are not that simple as I described. MO71 tries to accomplish an adequate export file name suggestion by saving and restoring last entry not on global level, but on a dialog and location level, only if there is no previous entry on those, then I guess last entry from the global level is offered. At least that is what I think I see. Plus, for predefined dialogs, one can set and save explicitely export file, at least for auto export option.
So, there were already some efforts of which I wasn't even aware, however, that doesn't decrease much the validness of the suggestion.

Cheers
jcv

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.2 Available
Jump to: