ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Best practice for error handling and monitoring

Best practice for error handling and monitoring « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
petervh1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Best practice for error handling and monitoring Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi

I am looking at streamlining the current error handling process together with the monitoring/logging process as follows:

Take a basic flow of MQInput -> Compute -> MQOutput. Wire the Catch and Failure terminals to an error-handling SF. This SF writes the ExceptionList to a queue and the original payload to another queue.

This causes these queues to fill up over time, and generally produces a requirement for maintenance.

I would appreciate feedback on this scenario:

Take the same basic flow of MQInput -> Compute -> MQOutput. Remove the connection to the error-handling SF. Create a monitoring profile for this flow that generates an event message when the payload passes through any of these eventSourceAddresses:

MQ Input.transaction.Rollback
MQ Input.terminal.failure
MQ Input.terminal.catch

If an event is generated, write this event message to another queue (this event message is configured to contain the original payload and the ExceptionList). A separate flow reads these event messages and writes them to a database, where they can be examined and dealt with if necessary. If an error occurs in this second flow, invoke an error-handling SF that writes the ExceptionList to a queue and the original payload to another queue.

This way, I only get messages written to a queue/s if the database-writing flow has a failure. I still have access to the original payload and the ExceptionList from the database row.

Comments please?
timber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What value is monitoring adding? Can't you simply write a message flow that reads the queue(s) and writes to a database?
petervh1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

I'm using monitoring to record the progress of payloads through the flow. Need this so that Production Support can trace different payloads.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There are several products that will capture and handle this kind of monitoring data for you.

Is the value of the information greater than the cost of such a product?
petervh1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

My question was aimed more at "is this a sound approach to reducing maintenance on queues by means of combining IIB-supplied monitoring capabilities with a flow", rather than "is this a good way to read and process the raw XML event messages emitted by IIB".
timber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

In your first post, you said:
Quote:
This SF writes the ExceptionList to a queue and the original payload to another queue.
...so the existing subflow is logging the payload to a queue.

Then you proposed the monitoring-based solution:
Quote:
If an event is generated, write this event message to another queue (this event message is configured to contain the original payload and the ExceptionList). A separate flow reads these event messages and writes them to a database
I don't understand why you cannot use the existing payload/exception queues to populate the database.

Quote:
is this a sound approach to reducing maintenance on queues by means of combining IIB-supplied monitoring capabilities with a flow
It's a sound approach to monitoring message flows. But I don't see how it will reduce maintenance of the queues any better than my proposal would. Either way, the queues will be regularly drained by the message flow that populates the database so the queue-filling-up problem is resolved.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Best practice for error handling and monitoring
Jump to: