ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Workload Managment on Remote Queues

Cluster Workload Managment on Remote Queues « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Muhammad Haider
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Cluster Workload Managment on Remote Queues Reply with quote

Apprentice

I have 2 Queue Managers in a cluster. QM1 and QM2 both having following remote queue (which is in a Queue Manager QM3 and QM3 is outside the cluster):

DEFINE QREMOTE(QR.OutboundQ) RNAME(QL.OutboundQ) RQMNAME(QM3) CLUSTER(TESTCLUSTER) DEFBIND(NOTFIXED)

Since we dont have 'Cluster workload use queue' property for remote queues, how can we achieve cluster workload management. For example when I use rfhutil and connect to QM1 or QM2 and send messages, the messages are not being load balanced between QM1 and QM2 ( i can observe this by stopping the channels between QM1,QM2 and QM3, so the messages are on the same transmission queue on which i am currently connected).
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Post the QLocal definition here. Is the QLocal known to the cluster?

Why are you using a QRemote def?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
Post the QLocal definition here. Is the QLocal known to the cluster?

Why are you using a QRemote def?

QM3 is outside of the cluster and his QR definition is incomplete( XMITQ missing)

or QM3 is indeed in the cluster and he defined the QR to act as alias queues for authorization..., but then why define them with cluster attributes???

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I think what the OP is trying to say is:
I want to send messages from QM1 or QM2 to QM3
QM1 and QM2 are in a MQ cluster. QM3 is not in that MQ Cluster.
When I connect to QM1 and put messages to the remote queue that aims at QM3, the messages go to QM3, but only via QM1. My outbound messages are not load balanced from QM1 across QM1 and QM2 on their way to QM3.

Muhammad Haider, is that what you are saying?
Muhammad Haider
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi All,

Yes, the exact scenario and query is as put by PeterPotkay.

Yes, sorry i missed to put the transmission queue parameter in my definition here in the post. Both remote queue definitions have a transmission queue with same name as queue manager i.e there is a transmission queue QM1 on queue manager QM1 which is used by the remote queue and the sender channel. Similarly there is a transmission queue QM2 on queue manager QM2 which is used by the remote queue and the sender channel. And "My outbound messages are not load balanced from QM1 across QM1 and QM2 on their way to QM3. " Similarly if i connect to QM2 the messages are not load balanced across QM1 and QM2 on their way to QM3.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Muhammad Haider wrote:
Hi All,

Yes, the exact scenario and query is as put by PeterPotkay.

Yes, sorry i missed to put the transmission queue parameter in my definition here in the post. Both remote queue definitions have a transmission queue with same name as queue manager i.e there is a transmission queue QM1 on queue manager QM1 which is used by the remote queue and the sender channel. Similarly there is a transmission queue QM2 on queue manager QM2 which is used by the remote queue and the sender channel. And "My outbound messages are not load balanced from QM1 across QM1 and QM2 on their way to QM3. " Similarly if i connect to QM2 the messages are not load balanced across QM1 and QM2 on their way to QM3.

what are the values for:
CLWLUSEQ on QM1 and QM2 ?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Is it possible you are trying to run before you walk here?

If you just target two cluster local queues in your cluster does work-balancing happen OK? In other words are you certain that your cluster is set up correctly?

Having said that you say one thing which is a little odd. You said "there is a transmission queue QM1 on queue manager QM1 which is used by the remote queue and the sender channel. Similarly there is a transmission queue QM2 on queue manager QM2....."

This is not how it works. You don't have a transmission queue with the same name as the Queue Manager. Transmission Queues are often (usually) named as the same Queue Manager name that they are going to....not that they are defined on.

Cheers,

Paul.
Muhammad Haider
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

fjb_saper: Below are the values on QM1 and QM2

Cluster workload use queue: Any
Default cluster transmission queue: SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE
Cluster workload mode: Safe

Paul: Yes, cluster workload balancing is working successfully for local queues. I have a local queue QL.A defined on both QM1 and QM2 and when i test with rfhutil cluster workload balancing is working fine i.e when i connect to e.g QM1 and send two messages, each of QM1 and QM2 receives one message. Also when I send messages from QM3 to QL.A on QM1 or QM2 cluster load balancing takes place ie. for inbound messages into cluster its working fine. For outbound messages from cluster I m using these remote queues and though the messages reach QM3 when I connect to QM1 or QM2 but load balancing is not taking place.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If you are connected to QM1, sending messages to QM3, why do you want 50% of your messages to detour to QM2 before going to QM3?

What value does this provide?
Muhammad Haider
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

How can we test cluster workload management in this outbound scenario ?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Are you saying that this isn't a scenario you are actually going to have in production? - in which case I would argue "what is the point of testing something which is not going to run in production?".

I think we've reached the point were it might be worth describing the problem you are trying to solve rather than the problem in the solution you chose.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Let me guess at what you are trying to do.

You want both QM1 and QM2 to act as a gateway to a non-cluster QM3. I suspect you don't want this for workload balancing but for resilience in the cluster. ie. you don't want a single point of failure (ie. QM1 or QM2) in case one of them fails. Is that correct ?

If that is the case then I would say that testing from a 4th Queue Manager is more realistic to the production scenario. However, I would also wonder why not just make QM1 a multi-instance Queue Manager?

Cheers,

Paul.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Workload Managment on Remote Queues
Jump to: