ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JMS setExceptionListener and STOP CONNECTION

JMS setExceptionListener and STOP CONNECTION « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: JMS setExceptionListener and STOP CONNECTION Reply with quote

Guardian

I may open a PMR about this, but was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight in what I am seeing with JMS.

I have a simple JMSReceiver program where I am setting up an ExceptionListener on the connection. The code looks like this:

Code:

Context ctx = new InitialContext();
                QueueConnectionFactory factory = (QueueConnectionFactory)
                        ctx.lookup("myQCFClient");
             QueueConnection connection = factory.createQueueConnection();
             connection.setExceptionListener(this);

There is also an onException method to get invoked when an exception is detected on the connection. This onException method will then redrive a reconnection to the queue manager. The code also sets up an asynchronous MessageListener to listen for messages on a queue.

This code all works great when I shut down the queue manager. The onException method gets invoked and a reconnection is redriven and is successful when the queue manager is back up. However, if I do just a STOP CONNECTION on the JMSReceiver connections, the onException method is not called. I can see in the queue manager the connections are gone. Of course, if I then try to put messages to the queue that the JMSReceiver is listening on, the onMessage is not invoked (since the connections have been broken to the queue manager).

Is this a bug that a STOP CONNECTION does not invoke my onException method for my ExceptionListener for this JMSReceiver program?

I do have ASYNCEXCEPTION(ALL) for my myQCFClient queue connection factory.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but a stopped connection is not the same thing as an interrupted one...
It may only be semantics, but I would suspect that internally the queue manager does not think anything bad happened...
Like say one thread closing a connection before the other thread is done with it...
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

If the JMSReceiver program is changed to do a synchronous GET instead of an asynchronous GET and you do a STOP CONNECTION on the JMSReceiver connections, the JMSReceiver does give you an error of a 2009 (broken connection) on the synchronous GET call. To me, it would follow then that an asynchronous GET that has a registered ExceptionListener should have an exception raised if a STOP CONNECTION is done on the JMS program's connections.
tczielke
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

It looks like issue #3 in this APAR probably corrects the issue I reported in this thread.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT14820

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JMS setExceptionListener and STOP CONNECTION
Jump to: