ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Possiblity of Message lost in MQ

Possiblity of Message lost in MQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smvineed
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Possiblity of Message lost in MQ Reply with quote

Apprentice

In what scenario MQ messages will be lost, can any of experts explain the scenarios ?

Thanks in Advance

If you want it,work for it. it's that simple
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MQ does not 'lose' messages, period!

There may be circumstances where MQ discards messages however - and those are all explained in the Knowledge Centre (KC).
smvineed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Possiblity of Message lost in MQ Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi exerk,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards
SMV
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

There is a chance a message was not actually accepted (e.g. queue full or message length too large) and the putting application did not handle the MQRC correctly.

So the application must be coded correctly to handle conditions when the MQPUT does not succeed. Once it does succeed MQ will keep the message in accordance with the documented behaviour.

Depending how resilient your storage hardware is, it's possible to lose both data and log filesystems, but very unlikely if well designed and spread over fault tolerant SAN.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
There is a chance a message was not actually accepted (e.g. queue full or message length too large) and the putting application did not handle the MQRC correctly.

I always use the post box analogy - if you post a letter and don't see it go through the slot & hit the bottom, you can't expect the postal service to deliver it. If you just throw the message at the slot, miss, see it fall to the ground and then just leave it laying there, the postal service is not going to pick up all the letters scattered round close to the post box.

Once it's in the post box, you can rely on it being delivered. You can't rely on when, and you can't expect the postal service to make the recipient read the letter, just to deliver it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

And if you see a lorry plow over the post box just after you've put your letter in...

Err. Sorry. I'm American. A "truck" and a "mailbox".
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
And if you see a lorry plow over the post box just after you've put your letter in...

In American, that would be the large blue things you see standing around, not the weird shaped objects outside your house. Going to the blue thing is analogous to making a client connection. If you're using a binding connection (i.e. the thing by your house) you'll easily detect the problem from your window and resend.

mqjeff wrote:
Err. Sorry. I'm American. A "truck" and a "mailbox".

I'm keeping in practice with British terms in case the next President makes my position dodgy by tearing up the 14th Amendment so he can "remove" undocumented chosen classes of people, even those who are raising native born US citizens (who without the protection of the 14th Amendment are just children of undocumented parents).

I'm not "American" in the sense of "my family has been here for n generations" and I'm certainly not as cute as the children in question.
vsathyan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

What happens when a non-persistent message is posted on the sending side through a remote queue, and the destination queue manager does not have the destination queue defined, and no dead letter queue on destination queue manager...

"Will the post man throw those mails on the road and return home, rather than taking them back to the post office and keep it?" LOL
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Fortunately, MQ does not support the model of "what if the postal employee goes nuts and decides to hoard all mail they are handling in their apartment or home".

Nor the more violent methods that postal employees have occasionally gone nuts...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

vsathyan wrote:
"Will the post man throw those mails on the road and return home, rather than taking them back to the post office and keep it?" LOL

Strangely yes....

exerk wrote:

There may be circumstances where MQ discards messages however - and those are all explained in the Knowledge Centre (KC).

Your use case is one such circumstance.

Analogy only goes so far.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Possiblity of Message lost in MQ Reply with quote

Poobah

smvineed wrote:
In what scenario MQ messages will be lost, can any of experts explain the scenarios ?

Thanks in Advance

This subject has been discussed here many, many times. It is frequently a job-interview and certification test question.

Have you used the Search option at the top of this page to answer your own question? What were the results of your search?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Possiblity of Message lost in MQ
Jump to: