ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ESQL vs Java

ESQL vs Java « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqsiuser wrote:
Mapa is not (even) mentioning XSLT. Thank you!

mapa wrote:
switching from cardinality+while to for+reference

I thought it is while (do, LASTMOVE) + references?

For ... what? EACH? ... (I guess no "i++") ?

Code:
FOR myReference AS InputRoot.XMLNSC.Body.Row[] DO

And kash3338 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

Wow! that's deep thinking!! Un-ask the question i.e. not applicable!!!
darn contact admin!

Last edited by fjb_saper on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Wow! that's deep thinking!! contact admin the question i.e. not applicable!!!

Or simply obnoxious. I leave it up to the reader.
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

From my experience, I found that the Java API for IIB/WMB was terrible. Hence why most recommend sticking purely to ESQL for all the mediation logic.

While I agree that ESQL should have everything you need, in some cases ESQL syntactically becomes very verbose. I have seen some ESQL code that is syntactically a nightmare. Some of this code could have easily been written with Java in a few lines. The same goes for contact admin Java code to ESQL.

I would argue that the Java community continues to grow and prosper where ESQL is stagnant. You can find Java developers almost anywhere, but finding ESQL developers is difficult. Compare ESQL to modern Javascript or Groovy's XmlSlurper API and I would argue the latter are far superior for writing logic for mapping unstructured data and other advanced techniques. Unfortunately WMB doesn't support Javascript. You can use Groovy but it seems rather pointless since the WMB provides very good data mapping features.

So basically stick to ESQL, in rare cases you may need to use Java (e.g. maybe you need to call a 3rd party API). I recommend when doing Java, consider looking at Groovy's XmlSlurper class for unstructured data, or JAXB for structured data. Stay clear from WMBs Java DOM API.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:
From my experience, I found that the Java API for IIB/WMB was terrible. Hence why most recommend sticking purely to ESQL for all the mediation logic.

While I agree that ESQL should have everything you need, in some cases ESQL syntactically becomes very verbose. I have seen some ESQL code that is syntactically a nightmare. Some of this code could have easily been written with Java in a few lines. The same goes for contact admin Java code to ESQL.

I would argue that the Java community continues to grow and prosper where ESQL is stagnant. You can find Java developers almost anywhere, but finding ESQL developers is difficult. Compare ESQL to modern Javascript or Groovy's XmlSlurper API and I would argue the latter are far superior for writing logic for mapping unstructured data and other advanced techniques. Unfortunately WMB doesn't support Javascript. You can use Groovy but it seems rather pointless since the WMB provides very good data mapping features.

So basically stick to ESQL, in rare cases you may need to use Java (e.g. maybe you need to call a 3rd party API). I recommend when doing Java, consider looking at Groovy's XmlSlurper class for unstructured data, or JAXB for structured data. Stay clear from WMBs Java DOM API.

You are conveniently forgetting that in some versions (depending on your licensing) ESQL is not at your disposal and you will have to use the Java API.
The Java API to manipulate the message tree is not overly complex and can be learned quickly by a skilled java programmer.

Like in all things it takes a modicum of skill and you will not be successful with the monkey programming technique...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Also, in later versions of WMB, you can use JAXB to access/transform the message tree...
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:

You are conveniently forgetting that in some versions (depending on your licensing) ESQL is not at your disposal and you will have to use the Java API.
The Java API to manipulate the message tree is not overly complex and can be learned quickly by a skilled java programmer.

Like in all things it takes a modicum of skill and you will not be successful with the monkey programming technique...

Oh god... If someone forced me to use WMB witht he Java API over the ESQL then I think I would quit.

While the Java API is not overly complex, it is definitely overly verbose for performing simple tasks.

As a Java programmer who has worked with many Java DOM APIs, I always favour JAXB if the data structure is well defined. But JAXB is often overkill, which is the reason why companies are adopting JavaScript and Groovy.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:

Oh god... If someone forced me to use WMB with the Java API over the ESQL then I think I would quit.

While the Java API is not overly complex, it is definitely overly verbose for performing simple tasks.

As a Java programmer who has worked with many Java DOM APIs, I always favour JAXB if the data structure is well defined. But JAXB is often overkill, which is the reason why companies are adopting JavaScript and Groovy.

Now, now... the truth is far less drab then you define it. And by the way you can always use SONAR (or some other java modelling tool) to make sure you hit the 85 % and do not repeat too much code....

Don't know where you're going with overly verbose... but it's not so different... from ESQL... once you get into it...
You need to put on a different set of glasses, may be take a shot or 2 and have fun
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:

Oh god... If someone forced me to use WMB with the Java API over the ESQL then I think I would quit.

Now, now... the truth is far less drab then you define it. And by the way you can always use SONAR (or some other java modelling tool) to make sure you hit the 85 % and do not repeat too much code....

Don't know where you're going with overly verbose... but it's not so different... from ESQL... once you get into it...
You need to put on a different set of glasses, may be take a shot or 2 and have fun

haha only if i could drink at work.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The thing about JAXB is that in later (i.e. current) versions of WMB/IIB you can use JAXB to access the logical message tree.

So by the time it gets to your JCN, the data you're accessing should already be structured...

If you're trying to use a JCN to muck about with a BLOB, then you're doing it wrong.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I caught a developer doing exactly that - calling a JAR from a JCN to parse his JSON message.

That's why Java is so dangerous - developers don't read the IIB manual.

ESQL is easy to learn and making them read the IIB documentation is a good thing.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
That's why Java is so dangerous - developers don't read the IIB manual.

In fairness, no-one reads the manual......

IMHO Java is so dangerous because IIB is the only place in JavaLand where your Java is not sitting on top of an application server and you have all sorts of inbuilt features (like the ability to parse JSON). So the Java developers that you can find everywhere do what they do every time they've ever written Java - call out to a JAR to parse messages, use JMS directly to access a queue manager, find creative places to put properties files and spend ages looking for a console where they can set up JNDI. Also they never bother to clean up their objects because the garbage collection does that for you.

All of this is good Java programming practice. Except in IIB. And it gets you every time.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Someone should write a devworks article or something on "How to break IIB using a JavaCompute node".

Someone other than me.
vishBroker
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

My $0.02 -

Well, why compare oranges and apples?

It depends on the usecase.
We recently worked on a usecase - where we were required to convert JSON to Java and vice-versa.
That was just not possible with ESQL.

As a thumb rule, we recommend clients using Java or ESQL as per their resources' comfort level. If client is a majority a Java shop - then use JCN otherwise use ESQL.
Performance wise, I have not seen much difference for simple transformations done by ESQL or JAVA - rather was not able to notice any difference.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

vishBroker wrote:
We recently worked on a usecase - where we were required to convert JSON to Java and vice-versa.
That was just not possible with ESQL.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "convert JSON to Java"? How does that differ from parsing JSON with IIB and processing it with any of the programming languages?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ESQL vs Java
Jump to: