ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Performance and Bulk inserts into the DB from IIB

Performance and Bulk inserts into the DB from IIB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Performance and Bulk inserts into the DB from IIB Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Hi,

We have a number of messages that carry x rows and to speed up the process we are required to do a bulk insert into the DB instead of an insert per row.

I have searched the net (MR. Google) for bulk insert and could not find an example in ESQL, or in SQL that did not involve a file. Java allows for me to use a jdbc connection, a prepared statement with ps.addBatch and ps.executeBatch... so I could implement this in a JCN.

Does anybody know if the Mapping node in its DB insert capability does a bulk insert in the forEach DB transform?

The DB is quite a ways from the broker and my DB team is telling me that the amount of traffic I generate on SQL Net is killing me...

Does anybody have a different view on this? Any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

No, there really isn't a bulk insert in Broker - afai remember. Certainly not in ESQL. Mapping node *might* do it in v10, but I doubt it.

An ODBC trace would show you what a mapping node was doing...

Presumably you could do something with a PASSTHROUGH statement and a big long string of concatenated data...

... otherwise you could write a jMS or MQ procedure on the database end...
maurito
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I have done something like that in the past by calling a stored procedure that takes as IN param a REFERENCE. Then you do the mass insert in the SP
inMo
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Is it possible to prep the data in ESQL with the intent of a handoff to a stored procedure where the bulk insert is performed? If DBAs are complaining/citing the root cause, perhaps they'd be willing to write the stored procedure?
nmaddisetti
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi Maurito,

Have you done this using ESQL ?

I have done something like that in the past by calling a stored procedure that takes as IN param a REFERENCE. Then you do the mass insert in the SP

I just posted my question and saw ur reply in this post.

Thanks,
Venkat.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

There are 17 fields that are extracted out of each row. There are about 24 fields on each row. The (E)SQL is an INSERT statement passing the specific fields of the row into the VALUES clause. I know nothing about the size of the fields on the DB, or for that matter on the message.
I believe I will have to go the JCN way, using the prepared statement's batch capabilities.
maurito
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

You don't necessarily need to use the JCN. I've done is in ESQL,built the message tree on the Environment. Then used a REFERENCE to the message tree as IN parameter to the stored procedure. The SP was in Oracle, but I guess it could be any supported DBMS.
I think the ESQL call to the SP was a PASSTHRU.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Performance and Bulk inserts into the DB from IIB
Jump to: