ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Auditing messages

Auditing messages « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Merlin_jacob
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi is there a way to find the how many messages are passes/sent from a particular queue?

Can this be monitored by sequence number?

Can we log atleast the count/numbe of message, as many times application complaints that message is not received but if there will be log with time then MQ admin life would be easy.

Thanks,
Merlin
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Merlin_jacob wrote:
Hi is there a way to find the how many messages are passes/sent from a particular queue?

Research MQ statistics and accounting.

Merlin_jacob wrote:
Can this be monitored by sequence number?

What sequence number?

Merlin_jacob wrote:
Can we log atleast the count/numbe of message, as many times application complaints that message is not received but if there will be log with time then MQ admin life would be easy.

"MQ lost my message" is a frequent complaint. I've yet to see MQ lose a message. On the other hand, I've seen many instances where bad application coding, use of non-persistent messages, and other application behavior have "lost" messages. There is no built-in facility for capturing message images for audit purposes on either client or qmgr.

Merlin_jacob wrote:
Thanks,
Merlin

Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Merlin_jacob wrote:

with all the comments made by my worthy associate. I've been using MQ almost as long as MQ has been a separate product, and I too have yet to see MQ lose a message. I've seen it put a message somewhere the application didn't expect, I've seen it put a message somewhere I didn't expect and I've seen it delete a message because it was accidently told to do so, but never lose one.

My first response to a claim that a message has not been received is to ask for proof that it was actually sent; the claim that "the application is working" is not proof. I demand to see where they're getting a 0 code from the put/send operation. If I had $5 for every application I've seen in the last 2 decades where the success of the operation was not actually checked, I would have retired to Tahiti by now.

If I had an additional $10 for every time I'd been asked, "if MQ is an assured delivery system, why do we need to check the code? Delivery is assured" I could have bought Tahiti.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

A message can be delivered several wrong places. A receiving application can ask for the wrong message - that doesn't exist on the queue.

A sending application can send a message to the wrong place. A sending application can fail to commit a transaction. A sending application can fail to associate the right information with the message so that it can be found by the receiving application.

A message can be sent without persistence and run into a situation where MQ is allowed to remove it, despite the business requirement for the message to be always delivered.

As my colleagues say - applications on both sides need to prove that they haven't done any of these things with their code, before it's reasonable to start looking at the queue manager.

And, as my esteemable colleagues say, there are MQ accounting and statistics that can help. As well as monitoring depths on xmitqs and channel statuses.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Don't forget to add the activity logs...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

It is a best-practice for the application that initially captures the source-data to retain (archive) that source-data so that the transaction can be re-driven if the need arises. Note that I did not use the term "log."

The MQ logs do not serve this archive/audit purpose, as they are for qmgr restart.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Have a look at MQ Auditor.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Auditing messages
Jump to: