ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » This site now blocked at work

This site now blocked at work « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Wow. The cynicism. Is it any wonder that they hate us?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:

There are fine lines between joking, sarcasm, realism and cynicism...

It's hard to detect which of these I meant from simply the words... This is why we have and

Regardless, it's a bit hard to tell whether Peter's network team changed something, or if the rating system they use changed it's mind.

And I know that several of us have had to go through rounds of "We changed nothing","But it was working fine", "okay, we changed this one thing and we put it back", "And now it's working again." with a network team.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:

It's not cynicism when it's experience (multiple repeated experience) in the same way it's not paranoia if they really are after you.

If network changes were made using the same techniques as other platforms (scripts and change records) I'd be perfectly happy. But even here at <very large US financial institution> the network team make changes by plugging a laptop into the CAT 5 port of the relevant piece of hardware, every change record they submit is "low impact / low risk" (because with any other categorization they have to "waste time" getting approval for the change) and the change description is nearly always a variation on "perform needed changes to network configuration".

Drives us mad. Especially when even their management doesn't know exactly what change was made because "the change record's more to warn people we're making changes; it's often raised before we've finalized what we're actually going to do". I'd be killed repeatedly if I tried that. By many different management teams.

I know they hate us. I hate them right back.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

My post regarding cynicism was sarcasm. The two often travel together.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
My post regarding cynicism was sarcasm. The two often travel together.

Don't take my rant away from me. Ranting is all I have left.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

cynicism is often mistaken for hard won and bitter experience...

...and you don't have to be paranoid to know the world is against you, but it helps!
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If you work on the basis that the worst case may happen - then your changes will always be fail safe.

A lot of the new people in IT, whether due to inexperience or just a different culture - don't take a cynical enough approach - rarely (or never) test failure scenarios and bequeath their company an inevitable production issue.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
If you work on the basis that the worst case may happen - then your changes will always be fail safe.

A lot of the new people in IT, whether due to inexperience or just a different culture - don't take a cynical enough approach - rarely (or never) test failure scenarios and bequeath their company an inevitable production issue.

Yup. Testing only seems to consider the happy path lately.

And god only knows what they test. More than once I see a sign off, everything good, and then I show them the MQ stats that show zero puts and gets in their queues. Its as if a successful test is a compile / deploy / import that doesn't blow up, no complaints from anyone, on to the next environment!

Performance testing schedule? A couple days before go live, with zero time to fix anything, presumably because they assume the test will always work with no issues and nothing to fix, so why schedule it any sooner.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
zpat wrote:

Yup. Testing only seems to consider the happy path lately.

And god only knows what they test. More than once I see a sign off, everything good, and then I show them the MQ stats that show zero puts and gets in their queues. Its as if a successful test is a compile / deploy / import that doesn't blow up, no complaints from anyone, on to the next environment!

Performance testing schedule? A couple days before go live, with zero time to fix anything, presumably because they assume the test will always work with no issues and nothing to fix, so why schedule it any sooner.

When did you start working on my site????????

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » This site now blocked at work
Jump to: