ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Upgrading MQClient v6 to MQClient v8

Upgrading MQClient v6 to MQClient v8 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
latachuphal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Upgrading MQClient v6 to MQClient v8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a query regarding MQClient upgrade. As per the MQ8 IBM documentation, it is mentioned that for MQ version prior to MQ7.0.1
"Direct migration is not possible. You must follow an indirect migration path, which involves migrating IBM MQ more than once."

But MQClient upgrade is done by uninstalling the old version and installing the new version. So, if suppose I have MQ v6.0 and I want to upgrade it to MQ8.0 Client. Then I will uninstall v6.0 and install v8.0. Shouldn't this work? Why am I required to do 2 step migration for this client?

Can somebody please help here.

Thanks
Lata
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

You really aren't requited to do a two step process for the client.

Just make sure that everything works on MQ 8 with all the extra security bits and pieces.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
latachuphal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davies.

Regarding the extra security bits n checks, few other questions I have.

In my case, currently MQclient(v6) is connecting to MQ Server(MQ7) using ssl. I will be upgrading the client(to v without upgrading the server(which will be done later). There should be no impact as per the MQClient and server compatibility.

I am planning to use the same ssl certificates and AMQCLCHL.TAB file after client upgrade . Not changing any other existing functionality. Do you think there could be some impact still? If so, can you share. I read that some of the ciphersuites support revoked in MQ8. Please can you give some pointers around other checks that can be done to ensure security and other links are not broken.

Thanks
Lata
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

SSL is vunerable. You should be using TLS ciphers. Some of the ones you should be using may not be availalbe in the versions of the product you are using.

time to really think hard about the order of your upgrading.

IMHO, you should be doing the server first.

You certs will expire sooner or later. Perhaps with the upgrade you could get some new ones and move over to them as you upgrade the clients.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
latachuphal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Upgrading MQClient v6 to MQClient v8
Jump to: