ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Droping a FR qmgr

Droping a FR qmgr « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Droping a FR qmgr Reply with quote

Knight

We have a V7 cluster with several hundred Qmgrs with 2 FRs as recommended by IBM. We need to upgrade the environment to V8 and also change the server that hosts the FR Qmgrs .
The steps that we are going to take are
1. Create a V8 repository Qmgr (V8FR1) on a new server
2. Join the new V8 FR Qmgr to the existing cluster as FR (so running with 3 FR Qmgrs , 2 V7 and 1 V
3. Drop 1 of the 2 V7 FR. i.e run with 2 FR one V7 and one V8
4. create the second V8 FR Qmgr (V8FR2) on a second new server.
5. Join the 2nd V8 FR to the cluster ( again running with 3 FR 1 V7 and 2 V8 )
6. drop the 2nd V7 FR. (now back to like before except with 2 V8 FRs on the 2 new servers.)
7. Migrate the other Qmgrs in the cluster to V8

We will observe a short period ( may be 1 or 2 days) after each change step to make sure that the change has not caused any trouble.

Please comment on this steps if I miss anything or suggest on any better ways.

There is one thing I like to make sure I understand if there is any impact. All the other (partial repository) PR Omgrs has defined clussdr channel going to the V7 FRs. I know that it's important to follow the steps in the manual to make sure that the PR Qmgrs will not be sending data to the removed V7 FRs. If everything is done properly, the PR Qmgrs will be sending data to the V8 FRs using the auto defined clussdrs.
However those defined clussdr to the V7 FRs are still on the PR Qmgrs.

The manual (or info center) does say
Note: If the queue manager was a full repository, you might want to remove the CLUSSDR channel definitions from all the other queue managers in the same cluster. On each of the other queue managers, run the commands:
ALTER CHANNEL(TO.TORONTO) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR) CLUSTER(' ')
STOP CHANNEL(TO.TORONTO)
DELETE CHANNEL(TO.TORONTO)

The wording " you might want to remove" seems to indicate that it is nice to do but not a must. Since we have several hundred PR Qmgrs, we will probably do the delete chl as part of the upgrade instead of doing it right away.

Is there any cons of leaving those unused channel on the PR Qmgrs for a long time. I expect the V8 upgrade of the last few Qmgrs will be several months after the FR change to V8.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

It is somewhat dangerous to have a PR pointing to a non existant FR.
I would make sure before decomissioning the V7 FR that all PR pointing to it now point to it's V8 replacement.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Always demote FRs to PRS before deleting the QM.

If the FRs host queues that are shared in the cluster, unshare them and allow the cluster to remove them from it's active list.

Obviously never demote both FRs at the same time...
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
Always demote FRs to PRS before deleting the QM

I'll be using the instruction from the manual or info center
"Task 10: Removing a queue manager from a cluster" . So the FR will all be demoted to PR before they are removed.

Quote:
It is somewhat dangerous to have a PR pointing to a non existant FR

Are you referring to the clusdr chl on the PR that was defined when they first join the V7 cluster ? That is the question that I needed help on . The info center says " you might want to remove" instead of "you must remove" seems to say that i am OK to leave them there until I have the chance to clean up. In theory, if the V7 FR was demoted to PR (the pint made above) , suspended and removed, no PR will be sending data to the old V7 FRs and hence those sender channel will just be sitting there unused.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Droping a FR qmgr
Jump to: