ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs

Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pandeg
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi,

I am using two Queue Managers 8.0 in Linux, they are connected by Sender-Receiver channel. QM1 is remotely connected to more than 1200 applications using Server connection channel and remote queue which point to local queue of QM1. Can this Sender channel handle the traffic sent from all these 1200 application and will there any performance issue in sending these millions of messages from single sender-Receiver channel.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

What's always the right place to start with performance questions?

What happens if you take ten minutes to run your own experiments or do your own research before you post a question?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pandeg wrote:
Can this Sender channel handle the traffic sent from all these 1200 application

How can we possibly know that? We know nothing of the network linking the sender and the receiver, and the volume that it can carry. Is it 10BaseT, fibred, or a bit of string with a can at each end?

Put another way, the channel can absolutely handle it but....

pandeg wrote:
will there any performance issue in sending these millions of messages from single sender-Receiver channel.

.....there might be depending on the speed of the network pipe. There might also be an issue if messages from a high-priority, low SLA application in the group of 1200 get stuck behind a backlog of messages from a low priority batch application in the 1200.

In short, as has been said many times on this forum:
- what happens when you try it?
- do you plan to confirm to your management that it's fine if we tell you there's no issue, and reassure them that you've checked with a group of anonymous & unaccountable strangers on the Internet who promised you it would all work?

If the answers are:
- as with my previous posts, working this out for myself and researching things just seems like a lot of work so I thought I'd just post the question here and get some more coffee
- that's exactly my plan because if this goes wrong in any way I'll just post another thread asking how to fix it and get some more coffee

then absolutely you can use a single channel without any issues at all for any number of connected application with any message volume and any size of message.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs Reply with quote

Poobah

pandeg wrote:
Can this Sender channel handle the traffic sent from all these 1200 application and will there any performance issue in sending these millions of messages from single sender-Receiver channel.

Yes, no, and it depends.

You can begin by doing some simple and rough calculations to determine the message load you intend to send down the network.

Size of a message (in bytes) x number of messages per time-period (in seconds, for example).

Next, determine the bandwidth of your network (in bytes). Network performance tools are available. Your ISP can tell you what bandwidth you have purchased. Do other apps compete for network capacity? If so, you will need to know what that load is.

If the bandwidth is greater than the message load, you're probably ok. If bandwidth is less than message load, then your apps might exceed the SLA (service-level agreement).
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

bruce2359 wrote:

Size of a message (in bytes) x number of messages per time-period (in seconds, for example).

That's algebra ! Time to update your sig

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Performance Monitoring forum.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Throughput of MQ sender Channel between two Qmgrs
Jump to: